5 common myths about Division I

Myths+and+Facts+about+the+transition+to+Division+I.+

Graphic by Maliah White

Myths and Facts about the transition to Division I.

Shelby Clark, Editor-in-Chief

Myth: Tuition is going to go up by thousands of dollars. 

Fact: Tuition will not increase. A student fee will be implemented over a four-year plan. At the end of four years, the final annual student fee will be $475 a year or around $238 a semester. 

Myth: 75% of students voted against Division I in the DI survey. 

Fact: Around 44% of 1,381 participating students voted in favor with 48% not in favor and 8% uncertain, according to the survey released by the Division I Exploratory Committee.

Myth: Current students are paying the bill of the future.

Fact: The student fee will be implemented over a four-year period slowly increasing over that time period. During the 2022-2023 academic year, students will pay $60 a semester for Division I. Upon approval of reclassification, USI will compete in the Ohio Valley Conference beginning Fall 2022. 

Myth: The funds to be used for Division I can be used for other issues or programs on campus.

Fact: The funding that will pay for the $5.4 million dollar increase to the athletic department is coming from a new student fee and outside donations specifically for athletics. The funding financing the transition to Division I is not being pulled from any campus departments, programs or salaries. 

Myth: All student-athletes were against the transition to Division I. 

Fact: Around 45% of student athletes were in favor and 45% of student athletes were not in favor, according to the survey released by the Division I Exploratory Committee.