Campus community flies into Homecoming 2022

Homecoming+2022+kicks+off+Jan.+31.+Coronation+of+this+years+homecoming+majesties+will+be+held+Feb.+4+in+the+Screaming+Eagles+Arena.+

Photo by Josh Meredith

Homecoming 2022 kicks off Jan. 31. Coronation of this year’s homecoming majesties will be held Feb. 4 in the Screaming Eagles Arena.

Fallon Heady, Staff Writer

Homecoming 2022 will be a week full of superheroes, school pride and alumni celebrations leading up to coronation and the homecoming basketball games. 

Homecoming Week 2022 is Jan. 31 through Feb. 5 with the coronation ceremony on Feb. 4 and the basketball games on Feb. 5. The theme for the week is “A Super Homecoming.”

“A lot of the time, the themes kind of work themselves out,” said Nathaniel Payne, program coordinator at the Center for Campus Life. “One of our committee members talked about how there’s also a different spin on it.”

“Superheroes can look different to everyone, and it’s not just the cape,” Payne said. 

Homecoming coronation will be at 8 p.m. Feb. 4 in the Screaming Eagles Arena. The event will be in person and open to the public, but a YouTube live stream will be available on the university’s homecoming webpage.

“We made the change last year to have the coronation ceremony separate from the game,” Payne said. “It worked as its own event and we decided to proceed with it again.”

The women’s and men’s homecoming basketball games will take place Feb. 5 in the Screaming Eagles Arena. The women’s game will start at 1 p.m. The men’s game will follow at 3:15 p.m. Payne will announce the homecoming court during the men’s half-time. 

Laura Gobert, a sophomore public relations and advertising major, is a member of the Homecoming Planning Committee. “Everyone should come out to the games,” Gobert said. “Wear school gear and show your school pride.” 

“I think the homecoming game is by far my favorite thing. Everyone’s out in the crowd and the stadium is insanely full,” said Hairo Rivas, a senior international business administration and Spanish studies major. “Being in that arena with so many people supporting the USI basketball teams, the girl’s and boy’s, it’s just so exciting.” 

Rivas is a 2022 majesty candidate. Students will choose two candidates to be crowned Homecoming 2022 majesties. This will be the second year majesties are crowned instead of a king and queen. The first time was Homecoming 2021. 

Students will receive an email on Jan. 31 with information regarding voting for homecoming majesty, Payne said. Voters can visit the university’s homecoming webpage to learn more about the 2022 Homecoming Court candidates. 

The Homecoming Planning Committee, Love Unites Love Avails (LULA) and other university departments have worked together to fill the upcoming week with festivities leading up to the coronation and games. 

“I’m excited to see the student body come out to events again and be able to see everyone represent USI,” Rivas said. “We all get so caught up with school and work and our involvement and that’s amazing and all, but I feel like this is the one time we get to truly go all out.”

The Sweet Spot will be giving out free hot chocolate during lunch Jan. 31 – Feb. 4. Azzip Pizza will be giving out a free cookie with the purchase of a USI-themed pizza starting Jan. 31 through Feb. 5. A selfie museum will be set up all week in the Traditions Lounge. 

LULA will host CAN-Struction on Jan. 31 at 5 p.m. Individuals and teams can RSVP to participate in the can structure building contest and enjoy complimentary refreshments. LULA will donate all proceeds to Archie’s Closet.

Students, their families and alumni are invited to the Screagle Family Fun Night from 6 p.m. – 10 p.m. Feb. 5 at the University Center. 

The Recreation, Fitness, and Wellness Center will provide free food to guests via a tasty appetizer bar. Payne said participants can enjoy karaoke in the Fireside Lounge and compete in an interactive pop-culture trivia show called Nerdology. 

The remaining 2022 Homecoming events will include

• Bingo with APB, 6 p.m. Feb.1 
  • DIY Super Hero Night Lights, 5 p.m. Feb. 2.
  • Office Decorating Contest, Feb. 2
  • Cinema USI is showing “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings,” 9 p.m. Feb. 3 
  • Spirit Day, Feb. 4
  • Housing and Residence Life Door Decorating Contest

COVID-19 safety precautions will be in place for each event.