In-person commencement to be held for 2020 graduates

In-person+commencement+ceremony+for+2020+graduates+was+announced+at+the+July+Board+of+Trustees+meeting.+The+Board+of+Trustees+met+July+15+in+Carter+Hall.+

Photo by Shelby Clark

In-person commencement ceremony for 2020 graduates was announced at the July Board of Trustees meeting. The Board of Trustees met July 15 in Carter Hall.

Shelby Clark, Editor-in-Chief

Students in the class of 2020 will have an in-person commencement December 18 as a part of the Fall 2021 commencement ceremonies. 

Kindra Strupp, vice president for marketing and communications, announced the in-person graduation for 2020 graduates to the Board of Trustees July 15 in Carter Hall. 

Strupp said the university offered the class of 2020 a virtual ceremony but, “of course, it was not the celebration that we hoped to give our graduates.” 

An email went out to the class of 2020 graduates this week to access the student’s level of interest. Strupp said they have 129 alumni as of Wednesday afternoon who are interested in participating in the ceremony. 

Strupp said once they determine the number of interested students, they will be able to add to the in-person fall 2021 commencement ceremonies.

The Board of Trustees also discussed COVID-19 regulations for the fall. 

David Bower, chair of the COVID-19 task force, said the University Health Center is offering COVID-19 vaccines to all eligible persons. The University Health Center is an official Indiana state site for vaccinations.

All employees are expected to work on campus full time starting August 2. Bower said three feet social distancing will be followed on campus. Individuals who are not vaccinated are asked to wear a mask. 

A video from President Ron Rochon will go out to all students mid August regarding returning to campus. 

Also from the July Board of Trustees meeting: 

• The College of Nursing and Health Professions will offer a Bachelor of Science in Health Administration degree in the Fall of 2021 as approved by the Board of Trustees. 
  • Ann White, Dean of the College of Nursing and Health Professions, will be retiring July 1, 2022. 
  • Rochon has been reinstated as university president for the next three years. 
  • 769 students and 88 employees out of a total campus census of 11,674 tested positive for COVID-19 since March 2020. 

The Board of Trustees will meet September 2.