SGA President resigns, special election to be held next week

Student Government Association President Sarah Seward-Genung resigned from her position at the organization’s first meeting of the academic year Aug. 22.

Executive Vice President Kelsey McCullough will assume the duties of interim president until a special election is held at SGA’s next meeting Aug. 29.

Seward-Genung, who did not attend the meeting, accepted a job in California and will not be attending the university this year, McCullough said. 

She was elected president by the student body in April after running unopposed.

McCullough, a junior political science and philosophy major, said Seward-Genung notified members of the SGA Executive Board last week.

The Shield requested to see Seward-Genung’s resignation letter, but SGA officials declined to make the document public.

McCullough said applications for president are currently available on EagleSync. The General Assembly will vote on the organization’s next president at their next meeting. 

According to SGA’s bylaws, applicants for president must:

• Have completed at least three semesters of coursework at USI, completing a minimum of 24 credit hours of coursework at the time of candidacy.
  • Hold a minimum, cumulative GPA of 3.0 at the time of candidacy and throughout the term.
  • Be enrolled in and complete a minimum of six credit hours at USI over the course of each semester of their term. 
  • Not hold another executive board position in any student organization throughout their term.

McCullough plans to run for president in the election, but must first resign from her position as Executive Vice President, Chief of Staff Noah Alatza said.

As interim president, McCullough said she, along with members of SGA, are working to grow the organization and build on what they have.

“It is exciting to get to work with all these incredible people and to get to inform them about all the incredible things we are going to be doing this semester,” she said. “It’s SGA’s 50th birthday year, so we have a big event for that which will be really exciting.”

Applications for president are available here: https://orgsync.com/43251/forms/363040