The Shield, FishHook total 16 awards at annual ICPA state contest

The+Shield+staff+smiles+after+winning+13+awards+for+the+annual+Indiana+Collegiate+Press+Associate+contest+Saturday+at+Indiana+University+Bloomington.+
Photo by Alex Mendoza
The Shield staff smiles after winning 13 awards for the annual Indiana Collegiate Press Associate contest Saturday at Indiana University Bloomington.

Student-run publications The Shield and FishHook won 16 awards total for the Indiana Collegiate Press Association during the Spring 2024 contest.

The Shield won 13 awards across online and news magazine category entries, and FishHook won three awards across literary magazine award entries. 

According to its official website, the ICPA contest was founded in 1957 and is an annual event including interactive, professional workshops and “an award ceremony for nine contest divisions.” Work completed during the 2023 year was eligible for entry in the Spring 2024 Contest.

The Shield’s Spring 2024 Contest awards include:

Online: 

Email Newsletter: First Place, The Shield Staff

Breaking News Reporting Online: Third Place, “Students describe Evansville Walmart shooting – ‘Well crap, I’m going to get shot if I stay,’” Bryce West, Peyton Peters, Emalee Jones, Alyson Collins

Staff Editorial/Opinion Column Online: Third Place, “Embrace the Change,” Shelby Clark

Entertainment Column/Review Online: First Place, “‘The Last of Us Part II’ sets the bar for video game storytelling,” Ian Young

Video: Second Place, “Southern Indiana Dance Marathon 2023 recap,” Ethan MacCowan

News Magazine:

News Magazine of the Year: Third Place, The Shield Staff

News Story: Third Place, “Strategic Enrollment management works with local high schools,” Ian Young

News Magazine Illustration: First Place, “Summoning Spooky Season,” Alyssa DeWig 

News Magazine Cover Design: Second Place, “Summoning Spooky Season,” Alyssa DeWig

In-Depth Story: Third Place, “Creeping it real: What to know about Counseling and Psychological Services,” Aracely Chavez

Column/Essay: Third Place, “Making The Shield a Platform,” Shelby Clark

Story or Package Design: Third Place, “Mad About Movies,” Maliah White, Ian Young, Ian Lloyd, Abigail Durham, Sydney Lawson, Tegan Ruhl

Photo: Third Place, “Warming Up to Change,” Emalee Jones

Photo Essay/Picture Story: Second Place, “Black History Month models,” Emalee Jones, Crystal Killian

In 2023, The Shield won 17 awards

FishHook’s 2024 ICPA awards include:

Cover Design: First Place, Issue 12, Al Sheets

Overall Design: First Place, Issue 12, Kyla Schlink, Staff

Multimodal Piece: Third Place, “Leave the World Behind,” Kyla Schlink

Alyssa DeWig
Alyssa DeWig, News Editor
Alyssa DeWig, junior journalism major, was the News Editor for the 2022-2023 academic year. DeWig joined The Shield in March 2022 as a Staff Writer and was promoted to News Editor in August 2022. She also served as Lead Editor of The Shield's COVID-19 Publication Committee for the 2023 special-edition magazine, "Unmasked." DeWig was chosen as the 2023-2024 Editor-in-Chief.  DeWig was the 2020 Psychology Club vice president and 2021 Psychology Club co-president. DeWig enjoys reading, listening to music and spending time with the Shieldsters. She likes “Gilmore Girls” and “Friends.” “Working for The Shield has given me experience in writing and editing,” DeWig said. “It’s also allowed me to meet some of my favorite people.”