Shield Staff wins 17 awards at annual ICPA contest

The+Shield+Staff+smile+for+a+group+photo+at+The+Shields+Media+Day+Feb.+24%2C+2023%2C+in+the+Screaming+Eagles+Complex.+

The Shield Staff smile for a group photo at The Shield’s Media Day Feb. 24, 2023, in the Screaming Eagles Complex.

Shield Staff

The Shield is happy to announce our staff was awarded 17 awards from the Indiana Collegiate Press Association during their Spring 2023 Contest.

The ICPA was founded in 1957 and consists of over 40 publications including newspapers, online publications, news magazines and literary magazines. The ICPA hosts an annual contest every spring to award work completed in the previous year. Work completed by student media during 2022 were eligible to enter the Spring 2023 contest.

The ICPA categorizes their newspaper awards by division categories based upon enrollment not athletic classification. All member institutions complete in the online and advertising award categories.

The Shield is honored and humbled to receive the following awards.

Online 

Online Publication of the Year: Third Place

Use of Social Media: Second Place

Email Newsletter: First Place 

For: Shield Source Newsletter: Volume 3 Issue 8 by The Shield Staff

Email  Newsletter: Third Place

For: Shield Source Newsletter: Volume 3 Issue 11 by The Shield Staff

Special Presentation: Second Place

For: Coverage of USI’s Transition to Division I by The Shield Staff

Division II Newspaper 

Feature Page Design: First Place

For: “Meet the first Black president of USI: Ronald Rochon” in Volume 54 Issue 3, “Making History,” Design by Maliah White and Uday Lomada

Sports Page Design: First Place

For: “What to know: The first DI season so far” in Volume 55 Issue 4, “Know-vember,” Design by Maliah White

Informational Graphic: First Place

For: “Student time use” in Volume 55 Issue 3, “Carving Out Time,” Design by Maliah White

Cover Design: Second Place

For: Cover of Volume 55 Issue 2, “Finding your Flock,” Design by Maliah White, Photo by Quinton Watt

Feature Reporting: Third Place

For: “Seniors reflect on COVID-19, their four years at USI” in Volume 54 Issue 5, “Looking Back ’21-’22,” by Tegan Ruhl

Staff Editorial: Third Place

For: “Time Management is Self-Care” in Volume 55 Issue 3, “Carving Out Time,” by Shelby Clark

Editorial Cartoon: Third Place

For: “Life with Lawrence: Making time for yourself” in Volume 55 Issue 3, “Carving Out Time,” by Elizabeth Harris

Advertising 

Advertising Publication of the Year: Second Place

Display Ad: First Place

For: “Sodexo Ad” by Kyla Dagatan

Electronic House Ad: Second Place

For: “Valentine’s Shoutout” by The Shield Business Team

House Ad: Third Place 

For: “Apply Here” by The Shield Business Team

General Media Kit/Marketing Package: Second Place

For: “Advertise with US” by The Shield Business Team and Shelby Clark

Statement from Shelby Clark, Editor-in-Chief:

Editor-in-Chief Shelby Clark has served as Editor-in-Chief since May 2021. (Photo courtesy of USI Photography and Multimedia)
Editor-in-Chief Shelby Clark has served as Editor-in-Chief of The Shield since May 2021. (Photo courtesy of USI Photography and Multimedia)

“The student staff at The Shield is so honored and proud to represent the University of Southern Indiana as its independent student publication. Our mission, as The Shield, is to serve the students and the USI community with factual information, entertaining content and a forum for discussion that reflects their unique interests and ideas.

As a staff, we dedicate our time, energy and resources to serving and fulfilling our mission. These awards are the direct results of student vision, leadership and dedication to excellence and servitude. I am proud and humbled to get to work with each member of The Shield Staff. The joy I feel over these awards is no different than the joy I feel every day getting to work with the incredible student staff that composes The Shield.

I would also like to extend a warm congratulations to the USI-student FishHook Staff for taking home Literary Magazine of the Year: Third Place in the ICPA’s Spring 2023 Contest.

Lastly, we give honor to our wonderful audience. Thank you for reading our publication. We are truly humbled and honored to serve you.”