The student news site of the University of Southern Indiana

Proud to be Jewish

My religion and heritage haven’t always been accepted.

Throughout my life, I’ve had to deal with hateful comments, bullying and prejudice that follows being Jewish.

I never felt like I could be proud. I never was able to understand the hate.

Since Trump’s presidency I have seen multiple hashtags on Twitter for different religions, races and groups of people.

Saturday night, I saw one labeled #JewishPositivity. I scrolled through my phone reading the stories of people like me; stories of how they’ve overcome hate and bullying.

I was inspired to do the same.

Everyone was posting four photos of themselves and sharing why they were proud to be Jewish.

I searched through my phone, scrolling picture after picture trying to find the perfect four photos to share with this group of people I suddenly felt a connection to.

My thumbs danced around my phone keyboard searching for the right things to say, a few minutes later I finally posted it

Three minutes later, I deleted it.

I wanted to be proud. I wanted to post it. But I couldn’t.

I was scared of being judged and just plain scared.

Unfortunately my fears of violence and hate came true, in my own city.

This afternoon I was notified that someone fired a round through the window of the Evansville Temple Adath B’nai Israel.

Stories like this that need to be talked about. These stories are the reason why we have the hashtags.

I regret deleting that tweet. I regret not joining in and standing up for my rights as a Jewish American.

We are in a time where every minority is being targeted, Mosques are being vandalized, graves are being destroyed, people are having their rights stripped away from them and it’s horrifying.

I can honestly say I never thought that we would have to turn to hashtags to prove a point that everyone deserves equality.

But I can say that next time, I won’t be fearful for standing up for my religion.

Next time I will be proud.