Outdoor study spots to try on campus

Photo by Abigail Durham
The second-floor balcony in the Business and Engineering Center is a great spot to study outside. The balcony has a beautiful view of trees and Reflection Lake.

There are many physical, mental and social health benefits to studying outside. Being outside makes students more likely to be physically active. Mentally, being outside helps students relax and focus. Socially, being outside together increases students’ communication skills. Studying outside on campus is an easy task to accomplish with several great nature spots available. 

The second-floor balcony in the Business and Engineering Center:

One great outdoor study spot is the second-floor balcony in the Business and Engineering Center. This balcony offers a beautiful view of Reflection Lake, peaceful sounds from the fountains, birds and the wind blowing in the trees. This balcony has unique individual lounge chairs and good setups for group study.

First-floor balcony in the Liberal Arts Center:

The first-floor balcony in the Liberal Arts Center has several seats and a beautiful view of the tree line behind Reflection Lake. (Photo by Abigail Durham)

Another great outdoor study spot is the first-floor balcony in the Liberal Arts Center. This balcony offers a nice view of Reflection Lake and the treeline behind the Griffin Center. This spot has seating for group study, and you can hear the peaceful sounds of nature here. 

Reflection Lake Gazebo:

The gazebo by Reflection Lake is a great spot to study outside. (Photo by Abigail Durham)

Outside the Business and Engineering Center and by Reflection Lake is a gazebo. Sitting in this gazebo is relaxing because of how close you are to the lake, the fountains and the calmness of the surrounding trees and plants. 

Katie Miller, senior pre-physical therapy major, likes to study in the gazebo.

“I like the peacefulness and calmness before you start a stressful and hectic day,” Miller said.

University Center Fountain: 

Tables and chairs that surround the University Center Fountain are great spots to study outside. (Photo by Abigail Durham)

Seating areas by the fountain are good outdoor study spots. There are several beautiful trees surrounding this area of campus and The Quad. This is a great place to study with friends, and there are often events in the area for when you need a break from studying. 

Roof of the Fuquay Welcome Center:

The roof of the Fuquay Welcome Center is a secluded study spot with a good view of some of the most eye-catching trees on campus. (Photo by Abigail Durham)

The top of the Fuquay Welcome Center is surrounded by some of campus’s most stunning trees. While there are several seats available in this open space, this area feels more secluded for personal study time.

Abbie Mattingly, junior nursing major, likes to study outside by the fountain and on top of the Fuquay Welcome Center.

“I work well outside,” Mattingly said. “It’s nice to enjoy the weather when it’s nice out. I also like the fact that it’s quieter but also not too quiet.”

About the Contributor
Abigail Durham
Abigail Durham, Staff Writer
Abigail Durham, freshman undecided, was a Staff Writer for the 2022-2023 academic year. Durham joined The Shield in October 2022.  Durham was involved in the Dance Team on campus. Durham enjoys listening to music, watching TV and hanging out with friends. Durham likes sitcoms, romantic comedies, comedies. Her favorites are “La La Land,” “10 Things I Hate About You,” “Knives Out,” “The Greatest Showman,” “Friends,” “That 70’s Show,” “New Girl,” “Gilmore Girls,” “The Good Place” and “Jane the Virgin.”  “I like working for The Shield because I like contributing to coming up with ideas for content with teams and being able to know about and have an opinion on many aspects about campus,” Durham said.