Strangest Fall Fest food

The+West+Side+Nut+Club+Fall+Festival+is+known+for+its+wide+variety+of+food%2C+%0Abut+especially+its+stranger+options.+
Graphic by Alyssa DeWig
The West Side Nut Club Fall Festival is known for its wide variety of food, but especially its stranger options.

Evansville’s West Side Nut Club Fall Festival is back with carnival games, amusement park rides and, most importantly, its food. Fall Fest is known for its peculiar food items, and this year is set to feature some particularly weird offerings. Here are some of the strangest food items available at the 2023 Fall Fest.

Fruit salsa and cinnamon chips:

While not the strangest item on this list, fruit salsa certainly isn’t something you see every day.

Fruit salsa is a dip made from diced kiwis, apples and raspberries. Mix the fruit with sugar and butter, and you’ve got yourself a really sweet dip.

Of course, you need chips to eat with any dip. Each order of fruit salsa comes with cinnamon chips, which are  tortilla chips coated in cinnamon. This combination allows for a large helping of sweetness and an equally large helping of spice.

This item can be found at the Tekopple Tiger Den booth, number 134 on the map.

Alligator:

While some might not find it that strange, it’s certainly unusual to see alligator meat this far up north.

Alligator as a meat is mostly presented fried, but it can be prepared in other ways. Although it may seem like a tough meat, it’s  quite soft with a similar texture to chicken.

I have eaten alligator on multiple occasions, and it is one of my favorite meats. I’ll certainly give it a try when I go to Fall Fest this year.

This food item can be found at the Harrison Band Boosters booth, number 52 on the map.

The Fall Fest Munchie Map provides a full menu with the locations of every food item. (Photo courtesy of West Side Nut Club)

NOT fried chicken ice cream:

Moving onto something really out of the ordinary, NOT fried chicken ice cream.

Although it may look exactly like a fried drumstick, it tastes nothing like an actual piece of chicken, so for those interested in chicken-flavored ice cream, sorry to disappoint.

This ice cream is designed to look exactly like a piece of fried chicken but tastes like normal ice cream. It’s waffle ice cream coated with white chocolate and crushed cornflakes, and it even has a chocolate-covered cookie “bone.”

This food item can be found at the Harwood Booster Club booth, number 99 on the map.

Donut burger:

Sweet and savory may go together, but how far can this be pushed?

A donut burger, or Luther Burger, is a hamburger with glazed donuts as the buns. It may sound somewhat decent, until you add other burger ingredients, such as onions, lettuce, ketchup and mustard. You can also switch out your hamburger for a cheeseburger to really push the limits of this sweet and savory abomination.

This food item can be found at the Grace & Peace Lutheran booth, number 41 on the map.

Everything fried:

Of course, it wouldn’t be the Fall Fest without a wide array of fried food. Here are the strangest fried items and their locations.

• Beef Ravioli: Booth 121
  • Cheesy pig sticks: Booth 12
  • Cookie dough: Booth 64 and 130
  • Green beans: Booth 32 and 75
  • Green tomatoes: Booth 75
  • Nutella: Booth 17
  • Oatmeal cream pies: Booth 37
  • Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches: Booth 17 and 119

For the full list of food items available at this year’s West Side Nut Club Fall Festival, click here.

About the Contributor
Ian Young
Ian Young, Staff Writer
Ian Young, sophomore journalism major, was a Staff Writer for the 2022-2023 academic year. Young joined The Shield in Fall 2021.  Young enjoys listening to music, playing video games and making his colleagues laugh. Young’s favorite show is “Breaking Bad” because of the writing, cinematography and the memes made from it.  “The Shield is one of the best organizations on campus to work as it allows me to express my voice and the voice of the USI community,” Young said. “This is paired with the incredible people who work here who apply themselves to their work and make this organization a fun and safe place to work and have fun.”