Meet the 2023 Homecoming Court

Graphic by Sydney Lawson

Voting for the 2023 Homecoming Court candidates has officially opened. With Homecoming week in full swing, we want to help you get to know the nominees.

Abby Durham, Staff Writer

Homecoming 2023 majesty voting opened Monday and ends at 11:59 p.m. Thursday. All students were emailed a ballot around 8:20 a.m. Monday. 

On the ballot, you will see the members of the Homecoming Court listed. You may know them. You may not. Either way, get to know the 2023 Homecoming Court below. 

Kyleigh Blum, junior exercise science major, is nominated to be a 2023 USI Homecoming majesty. (Photo courtesy of USI Photography and Multimedia)

Kyleigh Blum 

Kyleigh Blum is a junior exercise science major with a concentration in pre-occupational therapy. Blum said she wants to be on the Homecoming Court to “help people see you can accomplish anything.”

Blum is the president of the Panhellenic Council, is a part of Alpha Sigma Tau and is a Pott College of Science, Engineering and Education student ambassador.

Blum said she is most passionate about the Panhellenic Council where she gets to practice philanthropy as well as helping at the women’s shelter in Evansville. Through her sorority, she said she “helps get supplies to girls who don’t have supplies for school.”

Blum said Jennifer Garrison, associate director of Center for Campus Life, is an influence on her.              

“She’s always had my back and always supports me and motivates me and helps me see the kind of things I can accomplish,” Blum said.

One of Blum’s favorite memories from USI is of joining her sorority. 

“It’s nice to find a group of people who share similar values and experiences with you,” Blum said. “It was an easy way to get involved on campus and I really enjoy being in it.”

In her last few years as a student, Blum said she hopes to continue to help people stay involved on campus and to help with Pott College of Science, Engineering and Education.

Casey Clark, junior nursing major, is nominated to be a 2023 USI Homecoming majesty. (Photo courtesy of USI Photography and Multimedia)

Casey Clark

Casey Clark, junior nursing major, said she sees being on the Homecoming Court as an “opportunity to represent USI and be a part of something really big and to get to celebrate Homecoming with everyone.”

Clark is a student ambassador, a part of the Honors Program, helps with Welcome Week, has served as a president of Students for Life and as Chief Copy Editor of The Shield.

Clark said she is passionate about “providing quality care for people, making sure that people have the resources that they need.”

“My number one passion is connecting others and making sure everyone feels involved and a part of something greater than themselves,” Clark said.

Instructor of nursing, Shelly Davis, and her sister, Shelby Clark, have positively influenced Clark. 

“Shellye Davis is super encouraging and has provided a lot of good advice for me, and I feel a lot more confident in who I am since having her as a clinical instructor,” Clark said. “My sister Shelby has been an amazing example of what it means to be a student leader on campus. She has grown a business with The Shield. I am inspired to be a little bit more like her.”

She said her favorite memory from her time at USI was helping break the news at The Shield that USI was transitioning to Division I. 

“I interviewed the mayor and got a special statement from him,” Clark said. “That whole experience was just really cool, and I loved getting to work with everyone. It was one of my favorite days since coming to USI.”

“I feel if I have helped one student feel more confident and comfortable in their experience as a USI student, then I have done what I should do while I’m here,” Clark said. 

Jaslynn Conti, senior business administration major, is nominated to be a 2023 USI Homecoming majesty. (Photo courtesy of USI Photography and Multimedia)

Jaslynn Conti

Jaslynn Conti, senior business administration major, is involved with Emerging Leaders, Medical Academy, chair of the Romain College of Business Student Advisory Board and is a Pott College Ambassador. 

Conti said she is participating in Homecoming to honor those that believe in her. 

“If someone noticed my hard work and dedication to USI enough to nominate me for the court, I should at least try to do it because not only am I representing myself and university, but I am representing the RCOB, my organizations, my church and my family and the person who nominated me,” Conti said. “I am grateful for the experience and honor to have been selected as a member.”

Conti said she is passionate about volunteering with her church, her faith, traveling and health. Conti said she enjoys passing out food boxes, organizing the clothing bank and speaking to kids at YCC while also opening up conversations about Jesus to people. 

“I also enjoy traveling and being adventurous with my friends and family,” Conti said. “I enjoy health and wellness including meal prepping and weightlifting.”

Conti said her parents have a lot of influence on her. 

“My mom was a hard worker who earned everything she has and she taught me how to be independent, strong and courageous,” She said. “My dad had some life lessons that brought him to God and changed his life and he taught me how to be generous, open-minded, and faithful. I owe everything to my parents and without them I would not be who I am.”

She said her favorite experiences from her time at USI occurred when she lived in the dorms during her freshman year. She fondly remembered a neighbor setting off the fire alarm with microwave macaroni. 

“It really made me realize just how big of a transition college is, especially if you are moving away from your parents,” Conti said. “I gained a lot of independence that year and would not have been able to experience and grow from any of my dependency had I not lived on campus.”

In the future, Conti plans to find a career she is passionate about, alongside opening a business that would allow her to successfully teach entrepreneurship at the collegiate level. 

“I go one day at a time because I know my path is already written and I just have to follow it,” She said. “I am excited to see where my next chapter takes me, and I am so grateful to have been a screagle for the last three years.”

Andrew Dehner, senior finance major, is nominated to be a 2023 USI Homecoming majesty. (Photo courtesy of USI Photography and Multimedia)

Andrew Dehner

Andrew Dehner, senior finance major with a marketing minor, said he wants to be on the Homecoming Court because three years ago, his sister, Olivia Dehner, was on the Homecoming Court. 

When he was nominated, Dehner said, “I wanted to show her that I was not such a stuck-up little brother after all.”

Dehner also said what made him want to be on the Homecoming Court is representing TKE and to “show the USI community we can truly make better men for a better world.” 

Dehner has been a member and President of the Nu-Lambda chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon. He also joined the St. Jude Regional Philanthropy committee at the National level. 

Dehner is passionate about his family and friends. 

“I believe having a strong foundation of people that you can rely on is one of the most important aspects of life,” Dehner said. “People that will always love you, pick you up when you are down, or put you in place when you need to be the ones you will be most thankful for in the future.”

He said he is also inspired by his father, who worked hard with little resources to raise them well. 

“He has worked his tail off to provide and raise us better than he ever was,” Dehner said. “Seeing what he came from to where he is now influences me to do better and give my kids all the resources they need to be successful.”

Dehner said his favorite experience from his time at USI was joining the TKE chapter. 

“Along with the fraternity brothers, the bond and memories we share will never be forgotten or broken,” Dehner said. “ If there was a piece of advice I could pass on to incoming freshmen, it would be to surround yourself with people who want the best in you and those around them.”

He said his goal in the future is to inspire and influence those around him to maximize their potential in all aspects of life. 

“I noticed over the course of my college experience, that many people do not have the same resources or capabilities some of their peers have,” Dehner said. “Sometimes, all people need is the right person to guide them in the right direction to success. I want to be the person whose name is mentioned when they are asked who has influenced them the most in life.”

Molly Donoho, senior social work major, is nominated to be a 2023 USI Homecoming majesty. (Photo courtesy of USI Photography and Multimedia)

Molly Donoho

Molly Donoho, senior social work major, said her “involvement on campus was really what pushed me to apply for the Homecoming Court.” 

Donoho has been a programmer for the Activities Program Board the past two years, is involved in the Honors Program, served as the mentor mentee co-chair for the Honor’s student council, is the Vice President of the BSW club and has been an orientation leader.

Donoho is passionate about social justice. She interned with USC Center for Social Justice Education and planned a discussion about food insecurity. 

This discussion brought awareness to issues of food insecurity in Evansville and on college campuses and ways students can get resources.

Donoho said her grandfather is an influence on her. 

“He’s always the one to give me advice or uplifting words on different things, even in tough situations,” Donoho said. “He’s always going to crack a joke and be positive.”

Donoho said her favorite experiences from her time at USI have been going to events and planning events for others.

Once she receives her degree, Donoho said she wants to attend graduate school for macro social work, specifically to become a policy analyst. 

She wants to use her voice, knowledge, and research and background to help people in need by bettering the situation or creating programs and changing policies.

Sarah Fruit, senior food and nutrition major, is nominated to be a 2023 USI Homecoming majesty. (Photo courtesy of USI Photography and Multimedia)

Sarah Fruit

Sarah Fruit, senior food and nutrition major, said that being on Homecoming Court is “something I’ve always wanted to do because of the individuals who were on it before me.” 

“This is truly such an honor and a dream come true for me,” Fruit said.

Fruit is currently the president of the Food and Nutrition student organization and has been an orientation leader and a student ambassador for the past three years. She is passionate about exercise and involvement and said she “has a lot of Screagle pride.”

Fruit said her professors have a lot of influence on her. 

“Dr. Young is so passionate about what she does,” Fruit said. “She always makes time out of her day to help us and make sure we’re doing okay.” 

Fruit’s grandma also impacts her because Fruit said she “led a really good life and really cared about others.”

One of Fruit’s fondest memories of USI is the formation of her friend group. 

“We have a little group of friends, and we call ourselves the Downstairs Gang,” Fruit said. “It’s so nice to always have that group of people. You’re never alone. It’s nice to know if you’re having a bad day that you can just go there, and those people are going to be there.”

After attending graduate school, Fruit said she wants to become a registered dietitian. 

“I’d love to work with either athletes on a college campus or in a professional sports setting or in an outpatient diabetes setting,” Fruit said. “I think it’d be really cool to one day become a professor, just because of the great professors and experiences that I’ve had. So, I’d love to one day come back to USI and teach the next generation of future dieticians.”

Pierce Howard, senior political science major, is nominated to be a 2023 USI Homecoming majesty. (Photo courtesy of USI Photography and Multimedia)

Pierce Howard

Pierce Howard, senior political science major with a Pre-law minor, said his drive to be on Homecoming came from his friends and their support. 

“Along with that, I am driven to be on the court to have the opportunity to paint a better image for Greek life here at USI,” he said.

Howard is the president of the Interfraternity Council and has been the vice president of Lambda Chi Alpha. He said he is passionate about “bettering the Fraternity and Sorority community in the eyes of faculty and students and about making the people around me happy.”

Howard said his two main influences are his mother and father. 

“Seeing my mom work as hard as she does to provide for our family makes me want to work harder and provide for her,” Howard said. “The second of my influences being my dad who passed away in 2016, I have always been driven to make sure that if he looks down on me then he would be proud of where I am in life.”

He said one of his favorite experiences from his time at USI was working at a Fall Fest booth. 

“Not only is it a lot of fun to hang out on the street all week, but it also feels incredibly rewarding to see all the hard work you put in that week pay off after everything is all said and done,” Howard said.

Howard’s future plans include graduating from USI and then to graduate with a Juris Doctor from law school.

Koby Lindner, mechanical engineering major, is nominated to be a 2023 USI Homecoming majesty. (Photo courtesy of USI Photography and Multimedia)

Koby Lindner

Koby Lindner, mechanical engineering major, said he wants to be on the Homecoming Court because it is a neat opportunity and honoring opportunity to represent USI.

Lindner is a member of Engineers in Action. Lindner said the organization builds footbridges with other universities and communities in places like Bolivia and Eswatini. Lindner is also a part of the Boys to Men club, which helps men with their mental health.

Lindner said he also helps with campus outreach, which involves hosting fun events, ministry on campus, seeking to meet people, helping people develop their leadership skills and sharing the love of Jesus.

Lindner said he is passionate about people. 

“I think people are super cool and kind of weird,” Lindner said. “People are cool and weird. So, I like talking to people and getting to know them, I like caring for people.”

Lindner said he is also passionate about fixing things, car repair and his faith. 

“God made everyone, and God loves everyone so much,” Lindner said. “That blows my mind. So that’s something that I’m really passionate about sharing.”

Lindner said his friends and his mentors have a lot of influence on him. 

“Those are people that inspire me a lot,” Lindner said. 

Authors also have influence on Lindner. 

“C.S. Lewis is a big one,” Lindner said. “He wrote Chronicles of Narnia, and he wrote a space trilogy that I just finished. It’s super fun to think about the world and other worlds. And again, Jesus is going to be one that inspires me.”

Lindner said one of his favorite experiences from his time at USI has been having a schedule. 

“You pack up your lunch, drive to class, do classes, talk with people, go do homework, drive back home, do chores, things like that,” Lindner said. “It’s just a general thing that I really enjoy.”

He said his goals for the future consist of four main things. 

“I’d love to be a dad,” Lindner said. “I’d love to raise kids and be married, and love my wife. I think that’s a really cool thing. I’d love to be a missionary, maybe go overseas. I’d love to build things through engineering. I would love to be a cowboy or do something farm related.” 

Cooper Motz, senior business engagement major, is nominated to be a 2023 USI Homecoming majesty. (Photo courtesy of USI Photography and Multimedia)

Cooper Motz

Cooper Motz, senior business management major, said he is willing, honored and blessed to be nominated to be on the Homecoming Court. “I think it’s just going to be a great experience through and through.”

Motz is a member of Sigma Tau Gamma which has a Fall Fest Booth, donates money for Special Olympics and autism awareness and has events like Pet-A-Pup and Polar Plunge. Motz is also an Emerging Leader.

Motz said he is passionate about his family and friends. 

“I’m definitely a social guy,” Motz said. “I love hanging out with people and love getting to meet people, and so that’s what I love about USI.” 

Motz said going to USI exposed him to different cultures and people. 

“Going to high school, it was the same people. Like you get to know them, which is awesome but white Catholics are the majority of people there, so to come here and talk to different cultures and meet different people and things was awesome, was great, and a great learning experience,” Motz said.

He said his favorite memory from his time at USI happened in his sophomore year. 

“We were playing intramural football for the championship game,” Motz said. “We won at the last second and just seeing all the brothers rejoice was such a fun experience. I barely knew these guys, and now we’re all here together cheering in that moment which was awesome.”

Motz said his parents, friends and fraternity brothers have a lot of influence on him.

In the future, he wants to be successful in his career and have a couple of dogs.

“I just want to see what I can do by myself and see how I can flourish and hopefully do well in my career,” Motz said. 

Ashton Stine, junior nursing major, is nominated to be a 2023 USI Homecoming majesty. (Photo courtesy of USI Photography and Multimedia)

Ashton Stine 

Ashton Stine, junior nursing major, said she wanted to be on the Homecoming Court because of her love for USI. 

“It is a good time to meet people maybe you wouldn’t normally talk to and kind of bond and just have that sense of community that I love about USI,” Stine said.

Stine is a member of Delta Zeta, is director of marketing for Southern Indiana Dance Marathon, is involved in USI association of nursing students, has been an orientation leader and an Emerging Leader, an SI leader for anatomy and physiology and was social chair for the Honors Program last year.

Stine said she is passionate about helping people.

“With my sorority, we do a lot of community outreach,” Stine said. ”I’m really passionate about volunteering and doing good things in the community.”

Stine said the biggest influences in her life include her parents and her friend, Hairo Rivas

“We met through orientation leaders,” Stine said. “He was such a good friend, and he really believed in me and pushed me to get involved on campus and that push, honestly, was life changing for me.”

Stine said her favorite experience from her time at USI was winning the dance competition during Greek Week last year with her sorority. 

“I remember after they announced that we won we all jumped up on the bleachers and hugged each other,” Stine said. “All our work that we put in together, had paid off and that one big group hug that we did was unforgettable.”

Stine said in the future she wants to continue being involved with different things and being passionate about community outreach.

Alli Wilsbacher, junior psychology major, is nominated to be a 2023 USI Homecoming majesty. (Photo courtesy of USI Photography and Multimedia)

Alli Wilsbacher 

Alli Wilsbacher, junior psychology major, said she wants to be on the Homecoming Court because it gives her an opportunity to showcase how much USI has done for her on a larger platform and to make a difference for more people.

Wilsbacher just completed her term as president of Alpha Sigma Alpha, was a program participant and program mentor for Emerging Leaders, has been a Welcome Week leader, has been involved with campus outreach, participated in Southern Indiana Dance Marathon, is a member of order of omega and is a part of the Psi Chi chapter. 

Wilsbacher said she is passionate about community, helping, working and talking with people and her faith. She said her parents have a lot of influence on her. 

“They’re definitely my heroes,” Wilsbacher said. “My dad has cancer and my mom has MS, so they always remind me to keep going and have a positive attitude through it all.”

Wilsbacher said her favorite memory from her time at USI was going sledding all around campus with her friends during the snowstorm that happened during her freshman year.

She said her plans for the future include making a lasting impact, reminding people what matters is how you treat other people and to be yourself. 

“You will be more remembered for that than any kind of academic accomplishment,” Wilsbacher said. 

Alex Clark 

Alex Clark, senior computer information systems major, was also nominated for Homecoming majesty. Clark could not be reached for an interview by The Shield, but more information about him can be found here.