USI athletes gain recognition in Division I

Graphic by Quinton Watt

Seven Screagles earn OVC honors

Quinton Watt, Sports Editor

Division I was met with both success and defeat in the first month and a half of the semester. Men’s soccer and women’s volleyball have yet to win an official season game, but many players have been recognized for their athletic efforts across the different athletic programs.

In women’s soccer, Peyton Murphy, freshman midfielder, received the honor of Offensive Player of the Week for the Ohio Valley Conference Aug. 30. Murphy scored three goals for the hat trick, one assist and four shots on goal against Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology Aug. 25. 

Along with Murphy, Maya Etienne, senior goalkeeper, was given OVC Goalkeeper of the Week Sept. 13. She had 11 saves, one shutout and a 0.920 save percentage through the week of play. 

In men’s and women’s cross country, the OVC recognized senior Noah Hufnagel and junior Lauren Greiwe as Runners of the Week. Hufnagel and Greiwe displayed great times at the Appalachian State Covered Bridge Open Sept 2. Hufnagel placed third of 146 runners and finished with an 8k time of 25:12.70. Greiwe placed 18th of 138 runners finishing with a 5K time of 18:15.20.

Hufnagel and junior McKenna Cavanaugh were recognized Sept. 20 for their performances at the North Alabama Showcase. Hufnagel ran the fastest 8k time for the OVC this year with 24:02.9 and finished 12th out of 266 runners. Cavanaugh finished 41st out of 389 runners with a personal record time of 17:49.2 in the 5K.

In volleyball, two players were recognized for tournament play. Leah Anderson, junior outside hitter, was named Chattanooga Classic All-Tournament Sept. 9 and 10. She had 40 kills, 32 digs, six blocks and one ace over 10 sets played. Recently, Anderson became the 15th player in USI history to reach 1000 kills at the Northern Illinois University Tri-Match Sept. 16 and 17.

Abby Bednar, sophomore outside and right side hitter, gained the All-Tournament title Sept. 2 and 3 at the Kent State University Invitational. Bednar had 22 kills, 26 digs, three aces and two and a half blocks over 10 sets played. She was named All-Tournament at the Northern Illinois University Tri-Match Sept. 16 and 17 with 18 kills, eight digs, seven blocks and one ace over eight sets played.