Baseball player steals the stolen base record

Bryce+Krizan+sets+the+university+all+time+stolen+bases+record+Saturday.+Krizan+batted+over+.700+in+the+weekend+series+against+the+University+of+Missouri+in+addition+to+stealing+bases.+

Photo courtesy of athletic communications

Bryce Krizan sets the university all time stolen bases record Saturday. Krizan batted over .700 in the weekend series against the University of Missouri in addition to stealing bases.

Shelby Clark, Digital Editor

He spots the pitcher lifting his foot and takes off running for second base. He slides into the bag. The adrenaline rush of stealing another base is pumping through him. 

Bryce Krizan, a graduate student and left fielder, sets the university baseball record for the most stolen bases. He stole 87.

“It feels great to be a part of the great tradition that USI has had in the past and to have my name up there,” Krizan said. 

Krizan broke the record Saturday in a game against the University of Missouri. The record was previously set by Matt Vince with 86 stolen bases in 1994. 

Krizan said his friends kept telling him he was close to the record and it motivated him to steal more bases. 

“I set a goal for myself to be able to do that, and it feels great to be able to accomplish that,” he said. 

Krizan celebrated the accomplishment by having a nice dinner with his grandparents and brother. Krizan’s grandparents and parents attend almost every one of Krizan’s games. 

Krizan said he is hoping to steal 100 bases before he plays his last game as a Screagle at the end of the spring 2021 season. Bryce Krizan graduated with a computer information systems undergraduate degree in December and is pursuing a master’s degree in business administration. 

Playing baseball at the university is more than he could have ever imagined, Krizan said. 

“I feel like I’ve become a better person and a better baseball player,” Krizan said. “I haven’t regretted a single second of it.” 

Krizan said his teammates feel like his brothers. He said they have great relationships and spend time together off and on the field. 

“I know I can go to them if I ever need anything and vice versa,” Krizan said. “They can come to me.” 

Krizan has done an excellent job leading the way for the team, said Austin Gossmann, pitcher and seventh year student pursuing a master’s in curriculum and development within education. 

Gossmann said he understands the anxiety pitchers feel when they have a player like Krizan on first base. He said Krizan does a great job putting pressure on the pitchers. 

Krizan was a freshman when Gossmann transferred to the university. Krizan was named Great Lakes Valley Conference Freshman of the Year in 2018. Since then, Gossmann said he has watched Krizan improve and develop. 

“One thing that’s really stuck out, especially these last few weekends, is his ability to get on base, get the ball in play, take the walks, not strike out as much,” Krizan said. “Being basically what we need to win games.” 

The university baseball team is on a seven game winning streak. 

Krizan has been a big contributor to the winning streak, said Tracy Archuleta, baseball head coach. 

“It’s always great when you have a guy like Bryce that’s able to steal bags and put himself in a scoring position after a single and put pressure on the pitcher and the defense,” Archuleta said. 

Krizan is a threat on base and a leader on the team, he said. 

The baseball team will compete against Kentucky Wesleyan College in hopes to extend the seven game winning streak. The game will be at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the university baseball field. The baseball team record is 11-11. Fans are able to attend the game. 

Kentucky Wesleyan is a regional opponent, so a win over Wesleyan will put the university in a good position in the region, said Bryce Krizan. 

“I would say, right now, just focus one game at a time and keep the winning streak going,” said Krizan.