Potential armed suspect in campus housing

Rhonda Wheeler, News Editor

Students, faculty and staff received RAVE Alerts that there was a potentially armed subject on campus on Dec. 2.

At 5:25 p.m., the alert was sent out stating that the suspect was in the campus housing area. Students were asked to shelter in place for 8 minutes when there was another alert stating that the campus emergency is over and that a suspect was taken into custody.

Freshman mechanical engineering major Jhair Ortega and freshman radiology major Hortensia Almanza said they saw police around the front and back of the C-Store. Though the C-Store closed, they were told to stay put inside. Neither saw the person being taken into custody.

Sophomore social work and psychology major Erin Waite said she went to the C-Store and when she came out, she saw flashing lights by Durbin apartment.

“My first thought was there was a fire alarm going off,” she said. “And then, as I walked up to my apartment, I heard something along the lines of ‘get your hands down and get in the vehicle.'”

After she went into her apartment and locked the door.

An incident report from Public Safety confirmed, “the person was immediately located, identified and found not to be the suspect.”

This story will be updated as more information becomes available. Last updated 12/3/2019 at 5:45 p.m.