Investigation underway after USI student shot at house party

Rhonda Wheeler, News Editor

A USI student was shot and wounded in the hip area Sunday morning at a house party on 101 S. Roesner Road according to the Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office.

Sheriff Office deputies were called to the scene of a reported shots fired at approximately 1:51 a.m. according to a press release from the Sheriff’s Office.

Initial responders discovered a female student, whose name has yet to be released, had sustained a gunshot wound to the hip area. Witnesses on the scene told deputies they did not know the suspect and described his appearance as a “black male with dreadlocks.”

The female victim was transported to a local hospital, where she was treated for non-life threatening injuries according to the Sheriff’s Office.

Vanderburgh County Sheriff Dave Wedding said that he is not sure if the female student is still in the hospital.

“We can go on record to say that we have a USI student struck by a round,” Wedding said.

Wedding said that this is a standard investigation and the Sheriff’s Office is tracking down leads as well as looking for them and focusing on learning what happened Sunday night, specifically who the shooter might have been.

The name has not yet been released because it is an early investigation, according to Wedding.

Vice President of Marketing and Communications Kindra Strupp said that the university is unable to confirm if the woman is a USI student because her name has not yet been released to the public.

The university sent out a statement regarding the shooting, where they confirmed that the property is not owned by the university but understand that some students may have been present in the home.

“The dean of students is working to identify those students and offer support services,” the statement read. “Any student who may need assistance should contact the Dean of Student’s Office. The safety of our students is of paramount importance.”

44 News WEVV-TV was first to report this story.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available. Last updated 11/18/2019 at 5:15 p.m.