Your spring break reading list

Creative Commons

“An Enchantment of Ravens” by Margaret Rogerson

For those looking for a humorous, action-packed and sweet read, this novel is definitely recommended. This novel is set in a fantasy world, following a skilled painter who must stand up to the ancient powers of the faerie courts as she finds herself falling in love with a faerie prince. Although this is a fantasy novel, it is very easy to follow along with and to get immersed in. It’s full of humor and action, as well as a cute romance. It is very difficult to put down, making it an excellent Spring Break read.

“Ready Player One” by Ernest Cline

In the year 2045, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he’s jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade’s devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world’s digital confines–puzzles that are based on their creator’s obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them.

But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. Read this action-adventure novel before the movie hits theaters!

“The Winner’s Curse” by Marie Rutkoski

Winning what you want may cost you everything you love. A trilogy containing sacrifices, betrayals, and forbidden relationships, “The Winner’s Curse” is about a general’s daughter and a slave, and the war stirring around them. Told with lush, vivid writing and with multiple points of view, Rutkoski’s trilogy is addicting as well as heartbreaking. For those ready to dive headfirst into a story full of emotional intensity, this fantasy series is worth the occasional heartbreaks.

“The Call” by Peadar O’Guilin

For an intense, horrifying read, consider “The Call.” Having to experience the Call is far worse than being selected for the Hunger Games. You wake up alone in a horrid land. A horn sounds. The Call has begun. The Sidhe are close. They’re the most beautiful and terrible people you’ve ever seen. And they’ve seen you. Nessa will be Called soon. No one thinks she has a chance of surviving, but she’s determined to prove them wrong. A novel blended with horror and folklore, “The Call” is definitely a novel that will chill you to the core and make you think about what you would do if you were ever Called.

“Shatter Me” by Tahereh Mafi

If you’re in the mood for a little romance told in gorgeous language, the “Shatter Me” series is a good choice for the week of Spring Break. Set in a dystopian society, this story follows a girl who has the ability to kill with one single touch, which becomes a bit complicated when she starts to fall in love with a boy she once knew. It’s really easy to get sucked into this series, and with its simplistic storytelling, would be a breeze to marathon in a week.