HJR-6 decision rescheduled for Friday

Classes weren’t the only thing canceled Friday – the year’s first winter storm caused a number of cancellations, including the Faculty Senate meeting, where members were expected to decide on a public statement regarding House Joint Resolution-6 (HJR-6).

The Senate now plans to make a decision at 3 p.m. Friday in Carter Hall.

The 14-member body failed to come to a consensus at its Nov. 22, meeting regarding its stance on the amendment that, if passed, would permanently define marriage as a bond between a man and a woman and would remove protections under current Indiana law for same-sex couples.

Assistant Professor of Psychology Amie McKibban organized “Stand by me, and I will stand by you: Opposing HJR-6,” which was also rescheduled for 2 p.m. Friday in USI’s free speech zone, located between the Orr Center and University Center East.

Students and faculty who attend the event will stand arm-in-arm silently as senators make their way to the UC to decide on a public statement.

McKibban said her goal is to create a visible sign of support, not a loud protest.

The university has not made a public statement, despite opposition from the University of Evansville, Mayor Lloyd Winnecke and the Evansville City Council.

The Student Government Association also has no plan to take a stance.

“As the representative body of all students, we don’t want to alienate contingents of unknown sizes by siding one way or another,” said Zack Mathis, president. “What we have decided to do is promote awareness of the issue and let students speak for or against it themselves.”

James Vaughn, Chief Copy Editor