SGA elections finished

Anslinger elected SGA executive vice president

Student Government Association (SGA) elections wrapped up early Saturday morning as the winners were announced at around 8 a.m.

Brian Anslinger, double major in business administration and marketing, was reelected as executive vice president with a vote of 56 percent against candidate Travis Dickison, a former SGA representative and health services major.

The EVP position was the only contested position in this year’s SGA election.

“I would like to say thank you to all my friends, supporters and to all the students that voted for me in the SGA election,” Anslinger said in a statement on his Facebook account. “Next year is going to be a year of continued progress, and I will endeavor to continue to serve the student body to the best of my ability.”

He said if any students have questions or concerns to stop by his office.

Dickison said he doesn’t have plans to return to SGA. 

Zack Mathis, 2012-2013 SGA College of Business Representative was elected SGA president in an uncontested victory.

“I’m excited for this great opportunity and would like to thank everyone that participated in this year’s elections through candidacy and voting,” Mathis said. “While my position was uncontested, I appreciate all of the support I had leading up to the election.”

He said becoming SGA president has been one of his goals since coming to USI.

“Now I will be able to be more effective in making positive changes for the student body,” Mathis said. “I encourage everyone to share any ideas or concerns they have so that we may work together to make USI an even greater place.”

The rest of the winners can be viewed at: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_YtIZbwQun2UUhiLUdpSFhvbFE/edit?pli=1

Adam Brothers, SGA’s current chief justice said the elections went smoothly this year.

“I would say that (elections had) average turnout,” Brothers said. “We had like 700 students that ended up voting, and that’s actually around average.”

According to documents received from SGA, 693 students voted in the election, which is about 7 percent of the student population.

“I think the election went really well,” Brothers said. “The winners will be inaugurated April 11. So after April 11, they will be the new representatives for SGA.”

He said after the inauguration, the president, Mathis, can open the floor for vacancy applications, which means students can apply for a position that wasn’t filled from the elections.

Brothers said he estimates there are about 20 open positions.