Cold day at lake still attracts students

Overcast skies, weather in the 60s and a cool breeze are all things that students may not want to have on  Labor Day at the Lake.

Despite the conditions students still came out to the annual event.

“I think the lifeguard said it was 67 degrees out of the water and 75 degrees in the water,” said Spencer Purdy, sophomore elementary education major.

With few students braving the weather conditions with the like, some students focused on other outdoor activities such as volleyball, basketball and soccer.

“I’ve been looking forward Labor Day at the Lake all weekend,” said sophomore undecided major Keith Tyler after playing a game of volleyball.

Even though the weather did not work out according to plan people were still in high spirits at the lake.

“I look forward to coming to this every year, but I think this year I’m just going to observe and not get in the water…too cold,” sophomore dental hygiene major Marinda Bye said.

This is the 11th year for Labor Day at the Lake, said Director of Recreation, Fitness and Wellness Dave Enzler.

“When I came to USI, there was a push to start some traditions,” Enzler said “Night at the Apollo, Springfest and Labor Day at the Lake were events that all stuck. I’m happy with the turn out that we got this year even though the weather didn’t cooperate with us.”

New Beginnings Christian Fellowship church bought Kramer’s Lake and revitalized it, Enzler said.

“Chris Hoehn, director of Religious Life, knew the pastor of the church and they came up with the idea, ‘wouldn’t it be great to have the students come out to the lake’,” Enzler said.

Some of the people who help put this event together were reminded of days they spent at the lake.

“This [Kramer’s Lake] was the place to be when I was in high school, Labor Day at the Lake kind of resembles what it was like back then,” said Jennie Kuebler, a volunteer helper at the event.

It may have been cold at Labor Day at the Lake but that did not stop the students from coming to have fun at the Kramer’s Lake.

“It’s too cold out but that’s not going to stop us,” Purdy said.