Center for International Programs presents food from Scotland, England, Ghana

Photo by Autumn Meyer
Melissa Gonnerman, assistant director of the Center for International Programs, presents at the Global Engagement Lunch & Learn Monday in Carter Hall.

The Center for International Programs presented the Global Engagement Lunch & Learn from 12-2 p.m. Monday in Carter Hall to celebrate International Education Week.

According to the USI events calendar, the Global Engagement Lunch & Learn provided food from Scotland, England and Ghana. Some of the featured food included Scotland Mince and Tatties, Jollof and chocolate-covered digestive biscuits. 

At the event, 11 students presented projects they had worked on during their time studying abroad.

There were presentations such as “Women’s Health Care in the U.K. versus the U.S.,” an internship program in Scotland, “Mental Health Across the U.K. and the U.S.” and three presentations about a trip taken to Accra, Ghana. 

The Center for International Programs presents on global engagement at the Global Engagement Lunch & Learn Monday in Carter Hall. (Photo by Autumn Meyer)

Melissa Gonnerman, associate director of the Center for International Programs, hopes students who attended the event can learn about cultures.

“I hope that people will walk away with a motivation to learn more about other cultures and see more of the connections between other cultures and U.S. cultures,” Gonnerman said.

Anh Truong, sophomore pre-nursing major, said the presentation comparing mental health in the U.S. and the U.K. interested her. 

Truong said she saw a connection between college students in the U.S. and the U.K.

“There is some similarity, which is college students stressing over school work,” Truong said.

Students get food at the Global Engagement Lunch & Learn hosted by the Center for International Programs Monday in Carter Hall. (Photo by Autumn Meyer)

Eric Espino Vergara, senior civil engineering major, said he enjoyed learning about new cultures.

“I really liked their presentations,” Espino Vergara said. “It’s a really good opportunity to get to know other cultures.”

Espino Vergara said he did not know anything about Ghana previously, but after the presentation, he learned about Ghanaian culture.

Students smile at the Global Engagement Lunch & Learn hosted by the Center for International Programs Monday in Carter Hall. (Photo by Autumn Meyer)

Selina Wang, business administration graduate student, said she learned from the students’ presentations, and the event showed her that everyone has an opportunity to travel.

Gonnerman said she hopes the event gets students to think about studying abroad and be part of conversations.  

International Education Week will continue from Nov. 13-17.