Political Science, Public Administration and Philosophy Department host 2023 Evansville mayoral debate

Mayoral candidates Democrat Stephanie Terry, Republican Natalie Rascher and Libertarian Michael Daugherty answer questions drawn by John Gibson, WNIN radio host, at the Evansville Mayoral Debate Wednesday in the Performance Center. (Photo by Anthony Rawley)

Editor’s Note: The press conference following the mayoral debate was canceled due to the media in attendance declining to attend.

The Political Science, Public Administration and Philosophy Department hosted the 2023 Evansville mayoral debate Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Performance Center. The Evansville candidates are Republican Natalie Rascher, Democrat Stephanie Terry and Libertarian Michael Daugherty.

John Gibson, radio host from WNIN Tri-State Public Media, Inc., moderated the one-hour debate. It was livestreamed and can be viewed on wnin.org.

According to a USI press release, doors opened at 6:15 p.m. and guests had to be seated by 6:45 p.m. The mayoral debate took place in the Performance Center, with limited seating available on a first-come, first-served basis. The debate was open to everyone, with no tickets required to enter. It was remote broadcasted live on screens in University Center East Rooms 2217-18, where anyone could sit and watch.

The three mayoral candidates answered questions submitted by WNIN listeners and viewers. Each candidate had 60 seconds to answer each question and 30 seconds to rebut.

Following their one-minute opening statements, the candidates answered questions drawn by Gibson. Topics of discussion included public safety, local businesses and investment, public transportation, the environmental impact of the city and diversity and inclusion.

The debate ended following one-minute closing statements from each of the three candidates.

John Farless, chief communications officer, said a press conference for invited media members was scheduled following the debate but canceled after the media in attendance declined to attend.

Matthew Hanka, professor of political science, gives a foreword at the Evansville Mayoral Debate Wednesday in the Performance Center. (Photo by Anthony Rawley)

Matthew Hanka, professor of political science, said he and Nicholas LaRowe, associate professor of political science, discussed the idea of hosting a mayoral debate last spring.

“We had a good collaboration with WNIN and USI, and overall, it was a good thing because it’s important to showcase USI,” Hanka said. “I think this is a great opportunity for us to be showcased in what we can do to serve the community but also important to showcase an event for our students here, that the students have this opportunity to participate in something that’s cool, that’s exciting right on their own campus.”

Hanka said he feels students, including those not necessarily from the Evansville area, get an opportunity to understand issues for the southern fall campaign.

“Some may be voting for the very first time, but as I was saying in my opening remarks, these debates give you an idea and give you an opportunity to learn where the candidate stands, that informs you in your decision-making,” Hanka said.

The winner of the 2023 mayoral election will succeed incumbent Republican Mayor Lloyd Winnecke. He has served as mayor since 2012, making him the 34th mayor of Evansville. Winnecke declined to run for re-election to a fourth term as mayor.

Republican Natalie Rascher, senior talent acquisition advisor at CliftonLarsonAllen LLP and member of the Vanderburgh County Alcohol Beverage Board, who previously served as an adjunct professor in personal health at USI, announced her bid for mayor Dec. 2, 2022. Winnecke has since endorsed Rascher for mayor, according to 14 News.

Democrat Stephanie Terry, current Vanderburgh County councilmember and executive director of the Children’s Museum of Evansville, announced her mayoral campaign Jan. 27 with an endorsement from former 33rd Democrat Mayor Jonathan Weinzapfel, according to 14 News.

Libertarian Michael Daugherty, owner of Mane Haven Equestrian Center and retired business owner, received the Libertarian Party nomination at the party’s annual convention March 19 with an endorsement from former Republican sheriff candidate Jeff Hales, according to the City-County Observer.

Party nominees were selected in primary elections May 2. Rascher defeated fellow Republican candidate Cheryl Musgrave, Vanderburgh County commissioner and former assessor, during the Republican primary election. There were 3,604-2,045 in total votes, according to Evansville Courier & Press.

Students and faculty sit while waiting for the Evansville Mayoral Debate to begin Wednesday in the Performance Center. (Photo by Anthony Rawley)

Emma Accomando, sophomore communication studies major, said the debate was interesting.

“All the candidates got different perspectives, and it was intense at times as well,” Accomando said. “But it’s interesting to see everybody’s different views and their hopes for Evansville.”

Hannah Loesch, freshman criminal justice and political science major, said she did not think she was going to like the debate at first, but after seeing them speak, it was moving.

Caden Owens, freshman radiologic technology and sonography major, said she felt more informed on local politics after the debate.

“From a small town, we don’t have as many opportunities like this to hear from that many people, so it’s just nice to hear,” Owens said.

Samantha Fleischaker, sophomore political science and philosophy major, said she enjoyed the dialogue between the three candidates.

“As a political science major, I feel like this is really essential to know like, legal and elections,” Fleischaker said. “This is the first experience I’ve ever had with any sort of elections, so this definitely informed me really well.”

Hanka said the department was honored to host the debate.

“This is a great moment for you, the students, faculty, staff, administrators, and everyone in the University of Southern Indiana community, the greater Evansville community and the entire democratic process,” Hanka said.

Should candidates Rascher or Terry win the election, they would serve as Evansville’s first female mayor.

Early voting is underway at the Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library Central Branch in downtown Evansville and will expand to other city libraries next week.

The 2023 Evansville election will be held Nov. 7. Voters will vote on a new mayor, city council members and other officeholders in the city.

To learn more about Indiana voter registration, click here.

Do you plan to vote in mayoral election?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Anthony Rawley
Anthony Rawley, Staff Writer
Anthony Rawley, junior political science major, was a Staff Writer for the 2022-2023 academic year. Rawley joined The Shield in October 2022. Rawley was awarded the 2022-2023 Positive Attitude Award for his consistent positive attitude working at The Shield.  Rawley was involved in Political Science Society, Emerging Leaders, the Honors Program, and the Chi Alpha Campus Ministry on campus. Rawley enjoys eating with friends, watching movies and shows, playing video games, caring for his aquarium, walking outside and listening to entertainment and news podcasts. He likes action, sci-fi, superhero and comedy.  “The Shield allows me to expand my network and make connections while covering various events on campus for students,” Rawley said. “I enjoy the management and hanging out with my fellow Shieldsters.”