Freshmen react positively to revised New Harmony trip

Photo courtesy of USI Photography and Multimedia
Students walk down a street Sept. 12 during their trip to New Harmony.

Freshmen students and faculty went to the university’s annual trip to New Harmony as part of the UNIV 101: First Year Experience course Sept. 12. 

“In UNIV 101, what we’re working towards teaching our students is about campus and community resources as well as transitioning to being a student at USI,” said Kristalyn Shefveland, assistant dean of the College of Liberal Arts. 

“What we tried to plan was something that’s kind of the essence of a first-year experience course,” said Kenny Purcell, director of university core curriculum. “First-year experience courses should help a student acclimate to being a university student here at USI specifically, and then also an opportunity to learn about resources and opportunities that are available.”

Last year, The Shield reached out to students about their experience on the trip and received a largely negative response. Purcell and Shefveland said they made some changes this year after they received feedback from last year’s trip.

If 20 years from now, a student chosen at random says, ‘Remember that time we went out to New Harmony and hung out and ate. Yeah, it was a lot of fun,’ then that’s good because you should have positive experiences.”

— Kenny Purcell, director of university core curriculum

“I think this year was a response to some of the feedback that was received last year,” Purcell said. “You know, the complaints, for lack of a better word, of the lecture-heaviness of it and trying to pull back but also maybe just reflecting our points of view that one of the most important things is that freshmen become part of the community and feel like they belong here because they do belong here.”

“We took in a lot of the feedback that we’ve received from our classes, but also from the original article to have an understanding of what went wrong,” Shefveland said.

Purcell and Shefveland said a video was made to explain New Harmony’s historical significance to USI.

“New Harmony is part of our campus,” Purcell said. “It’s geographically disconnected, but it is literally part of us. It is something unique that USI has. Other institutions can visit there, but when we go there, we’re just going to another part of campus. I think that’s really an opportunity for us, for students, to realize that this is just an extension of campus.”

Overall, students had a positive reaction to this year’s trip.

“We basically walked around New Harmony, toured major sites like an art museum, a labyrinth,” said Gavin Rogers, freshman computer science major. “It’s really interesting. I liked it.”

Students walk through a labyrinth Sept. 12 during their trip to New Harmony. (Photo courtesy of USI Photography and Multimedia)

Katelyn Gunter, freshman elementary education major, said she enjoyed the trip more than she expected. “It was nice to have the day off and get to experience everything there,” she said.

“I liked it,” said Gracie Herzog, freshman art education major. “I liked being able to see all the historical buildings.”

President Ronald Rochon smiles with students Sept. 12 on their trip to New Harmony. (Photo courtesy of USI Photography and Multimedia)

Josey Herr, freshman biology major said the one thing she would change is having more time.

“I would have liked to have more time just to walk around and explore,” Herr said.

However, Caitlin Klein, freshman nutrition major, said she thought they spent too much time there.

“As soon as we got done with everything it was, we just stood around for a little bit. But other than that, it was great,” Klein said.

Students and faculty order food at the Chino Taco Chinese Food truck Sept. 12 during their trip to New Harmony. (Photo courtesy of USI Photography and Multimedia)

Purcell said they are still hoping to receive feedback from this year’s trip.

“We’ll formally get feedback,” he said. “We’re developing a survey now to go out to all the UNIV 101 students and to the instructors.”

“If 20 years from now, a student chosen at random says, ‘Remember that time we went out to New Harmony and hung out and ate. Yeah, it was a lot of fun,’ then that’s good because you should have positive experiences,” Purcell said.

About the Contributors
Bryce West
Bryce West, Assistant News Editor
Bryce West, senior journalism and radio TV major, was the Assistant News Editor for the 2022-2023 academic year. West joined The Shield in Spring 2022 as a Staff Writer and was promoted to Assistant News Editor in Spring 2023.  West was involved in ESPN+ broadcasts for sporting events on campus. West enjoys watching movies, listening to music, hanging out with friends and collecting action figures and retro video games. West likes watching superhero action movies and shows. He is a huge fan of the reality competition series “Survivor.”  “I enjoy working for The Shield because it has been the most spectacular learning experience I have had throughout my four years of college,” West said. “I have also gotten to know some of the greatest individuals I have ever met in my life. This has by far been my greatest working experience.”
Aracely Chavez
Aracely Chavez, Staff Writer
Aracely Chavez, freshman journalism major, was a Staff Writer for The Shield for the 2022-2023 academic year. Chavez joined The Shield in Spring 2022.  Chavez enjoys journaling and listening to music. She likes watching “Modern Family” and “New Girl.” “I enjoy working at The Shield because of its positive environment,” Chavez said.
Anthony Rawley
Anthony Rawley, Staff Writer
Anthony Rawley, junior political science major, was a Staff Writer for the 2022-2023 academic year. Rawley joined The Shield in October 2022. Rawley was awarded the 2022-2023 Positive Attitude Award for his consistent positive attitude working at The Shield.  Rawley was involved in Political Science Society, Emerging Leaders, the Honors Program, and the Chi Alpha Campus Ministry on campus. Rawley enjoys eating with friends, watching movies and shows, playing video games, caring for his aquarium, walking outside and listening to entertainment and news podcasts. He likes action, sci-fi, superhero and comedy.  “The Shield allows me to expand my network and make connections while covering various events on campus for students,” Rawley said. “I enjoy the management and hanging out with my fellow Shieldsters.”