University, Public Safety announce campus road closures due to construction

Photo by Alyssa DeWig

The northbound lane of University Boulevard is temporarily closed until further notice due to the ongoing Recreation, Fitness and Wellness Center construction. The northbound lane traffic will reroute to the southbound lane, where there will be two-lane traffic.

Alyssa DeWig, News Editor

The university and Public Safety announced in an email sent to students and employees Monday the northbound lanes of University Boulevard near the Recreation, Fitness and Wellness Center would be closed until further notice starting Tuesday due to the ongoing $12 million campus construction.

The southbound lanes have been rerouted to one northbound and one southbound lane.

Sam Preston, assistant director of Public Safety, said he is unsure when the closed road on campus will reopen. 

“Right now, the construction company has to put some very large beams in place, and they will have that open back up as soon as those beams can be put in place and it’s safe for two-way traffic to resume,” Preston said.

The Recreation, Fitness and Wellness Center is undergoing a $12 million construction relocating Public Safety and Counseling and Psychological Services. Due to the construction, the northbound lane of University Parkway is temporarily closed until further notice. (Photo by Alyssa DeWig)

Ana Swope, sophomore art major, said the closed road is inconvenient because drivers will have to go all the way around campus to leave, and the closed road is near the dorms and housing.

Swope said she thinks the road closure is “annoying.”

Just allocate some extra time for the people who don’t know how to drive.

— Ana Swope, sophomore art major

“I don’t feel like they need to close off both parts of the road,” Swope said. “That’s kind of unnecessary.”

Evan Dennis, junior management major, said he thinks the road closure is a “slight hassle,” but he does not think it is a big deal.

Dennis said he had a little trouble with the closure because of the “weird snake in the road,” but said it is only for a short stretch, so he did not think it was that bad.

Parking is still the same nightmare, even with or without the construction.

— Evan Dennis, junior management major

“Parking is still the same nightmare, even with or without the construction,” Dennis said.

Swope said she had no issues with traffic or parking, but she noticed other people did not know what to do when driving.

The northbound lane of University Boulevard is temporarily closed until further notice due to the ongoing Recreation, Fitness and Wellness Center construction. The northbound lane traffic will reroute to the southbound lane, where there will be two-lane traffic. (Photo by Alyssa DeWig)

Swope said drivers should be careful when driving near the road closure.

“Just allocate some extra time for the people who don’t know how to drive,” Swope said.

According to an Instagram post made by Housing and Residence Life, O’Daniel Lane in front of the HRL building and the road entrances to Gates, Craig, Bown, Orr and Bayh apartment buildings were also closed for repairs Monday. 

Insert social media post 

Kyla Tarr, junior psychology major, said she was not happy about the road closure. 

“Honestly, it’s really frustrating to me because I literally can’t even leave my driveway,” Tarr said. 

Tarr said she lives in the Craig apartments by the construction near the HRL building. 

“We have to go around behind the buildings and out, almost to the C-Store, and shoot across and cut through the apartments on the other side,” Tarr said.

It makes it more dangerous, honestly.

— Kyla Tarr, junior psychology major

The road outside HRL reopened Wednesday. 

Tarr said she thinks the construction and road closures should have been done over the summer. 

“I think there’s gonna be a lot more traffic when you’re backing out, and there’s gonna be a lot more people kind of running in front of you, trying to get to their cars,” Tarr said. “It makes it more dangerous, honestly.”