USI alumnus visits campus to discuss his book ‘Author in Chief’

Photo by Bryce West

Craig Fehrman, USI alumnus and author of “Author in Chief: The Untold Story of Our Presidents and the Books They Wrote,” gives a presentation and answers questions during his reading and book signing in the Performance Center Wednesday.

Bryce West and Alyssa DeWig

Craig Fehrman, USI alumnus, author and journalist, visited campus Wednesday to discuss his book, “Author in Chief: The Untold Story of Our Presidents and the Books They Wrote.”

Fehrman discussed his research process for his book and the many historical writings by former American presidents. He also held a Q&A during the event in the Performance Center.

According to the university’s events calendar, “Fehrman spent more than a decade writing and researching his first book, which The Wall Street Journal called ‘One of the best books on the American presidency to appear in recent years.’”

Fehrman said he returned to USI because it was very special to him.

“I met my wife here,” Fehrman said. “I figured out what I wanted to do with my life here. I’ve read a lot of great books here and met a lot of great professors here. This has been a really special place for me, so I am delighted to come back.”

Craig Fehrman, USI alumnus and author of "Author in Chief: The Untold Story of Our Presidents and the Books They Wrote," signs a copy of his book for attendees during his reading and book signing event outside the USI Performance Center Wednesday. (Photo by Bryce West)
Craig Fehrman, USI alumnus and author of “Author in Chief: The Untold Story of Our Presidents and the Books They Wrote,” signs a copy of his book for attendees during his reading and book signing event outside the USI Performance Center Wednesday. (Photo by Bryce West)

He said he hopes his visit to USI inspires students to read more.

“I hope they go read a book,” Fehrman said. “My book is a book about presidents for sure, but it’s a book for book lovers too.”

There’s something special about books, and there’s something special about how books create a forcefield around you.

— Craig Fehrman, USI alumnus, author and journalist

He said, “There’s something special about books, and there’s something special about how books create a forcefield around you.”

Macy Guzman, sophomore political science major, said she enjoyed hearing Fehrman discuss the importance of reading.

“Him talking about how important and valuable reading is I think really helped push me further into understanding, ‘Hey, this is how you further yourself, and how you become better,’” Guzman said. “I think that is very valuable, especially wanting to go into politics.”

Fehrman said growing up in Indiana helped when doing research for his book, especially when he was researching Abraham Lincoln, who also grew up in Indiana.

I think it’s really inspiring to see someone from Evansville, Indiana at USI go and kind of make it big, which is hopefully what I can do one day and inform people and educate people and kind of make a difference in people’s lives.

— Macy Guzman, sophomore political science major

“I think it helped me spot things in Lincoln, and I was able to see why what he did was so unique and also able to see why his biography might have been part of what inspired him in a way,” Fehrman said.

“I think it’s really inspiring to see someone from Evansville, Indiana at USI go and kind of make it big, which is hopefully what I can do one day and inform people and educate people and kind of make a difference in people’s lives,” Guzman said.

He’s living proof of us being students, showing us whatever you can put your mind to, you can do it.

— Taylor Cornelius, freshman political science major

Taylor Cornelius, freshman political science major, also said she thought it was cool to see how successful a USI alumnus has been.

“He’s living proof of us being students, showing us whatever you can put your mind to, you can do it,” Cornelius said. “That is true, and I think that’s awesome.”

Attendees gather outside the Performance Center Wednesday after Craig Fehrman, USI alumnus and author of "Author in Chief: The Untold Story of Our Presidents and the Books They Wrote," gave his presentation and Q&A session about his book. (Photo by Bryce West)
Attendees gather outside the Performance Center Wednesday after Craig Fehrman, USI alumnus and author of “Author in Chief: The Untold Story of Our Presidents and the Books They Wrote,” gave his presentation and Q&A session about his book. (Photo by Bryce West)

Guzman said she attended the event for extra credit for a class without knowing anything about Fehrman, but she enjoyed attending and thought his presentation was fascinating.

“I love learning about politics, that’s what I want to do when I get older – hopefully work in the House of Representatives one day,” Guzman said. “So, the more information that I’m able to learn and soak in and get from outside people is really helpful in developing hopefully a really good career.”

Cornelius said she also attended the event because she is a political science major. She said several of her classes mentioned the event, and she wanted to hear Fehrman talk about his book.

There’s something books can do that other media can’t, and I think there’s real value in it.

Fehrman said his next project will be a book about Lewis and Clark.

“I’m trying to do it a little bit different because there’s been a lot of good books written about Lewis and Clark, but they mostly tell it as a two-person story,” Fehrman said. “To me, it was not a two-person story, it was an ensemble story, and so, I’m trying to have a lot of characters.”

Fehrman said there is real value in reading books.

“There’s something books can do that other media can’t, and I think there’s real value in it,” Fehrman said. “Not just because you spend time with a book, but because you spend time with yourself, and you spend time with your own reactions.”