Evansville community sorority shares organization goals and designs tote bags

Photo by Anthony Rawley

Attendees design personal tote bags Thursday at the Gamma Phi Omega International Sorority, Inc. informational meeting in the Traditions Lounge.

Anthony Rawley, Staff Writer

The Gamma Phi Omega International Sorority, Inc. hosted a meeting Thursday in the Traditions Lounge, informing attendees of the organization’s goals and providing tote bags to design. 

According to the Gamma Phi Omega website, GPhiO is an Evansville community sorority focusing on academic excellence, community service, sisterhood and spreading cultural awareness among Latino and other communities. 

GPhiO has plans to host the same event presented Thursday at the University of Evansville Jan.  19 at 5:00 p.m.

Selina Wang, senior health administration major and GPhiO president, said GPhiO began planning the event in December 2022 to make sure they had enough supplies.

Wang said she got the idea to design tote bags from a resident advisor event she previously attended. Wang said the sorority wanted an event that was fun and would use their creativity. 

“I knew that it would add a touch of personal wellness,” Wang said. 

Karen Rivas, sophomore computer information systems major, smiles as she holds up her personalized tote bag Thursday at the Gamma Phi Omega International Sorority, Inc. informational meeting in the Traditions Lounge. (Photo by Anthony Rawley)

Students said they had different reasons for attending the meeting.

Karen Rivas, sophomore computer information systems major, said she attended the meeting because it was promoted well.

“I saw that on the TV at the business and engineering center, and the fact that I don’t really see other organizations do the tote bags,” Rivas said.

Allison Schawitsch, sophomore exercise science major, said she attended because she saw the program and is a member of Alpha Sigma Alpha.

“Part of the thing that we’re wanting to really focus on this year is Greek unity, and I thought this would be something great to come to,” Schawitsch said. “Because, you know, who wouldn’t want to paint a tote bag?”

Wang said they focus on empowering women to become what they want to be.

Jacky Abrego, junior respiratory therapy major, said, “We want to bring that to campus and have girls on campus, not necessarily who are Latina, and just have a place where they can feel welcome.”