Men’s basketball assistant coach begins first season at USI

Photo by Quinton Watt

Chris Moore, men’s assistant basketball coach, greets a fan during the meet-and-greet Friday in the Screaming Eagles Arena.

Eric Reynolds, Sports Writer

Chris Moore joined the men’s basketball team coaching staff as a new assistant coach for the 2022-2023 season. This season will be Moore’s 23rd season coaching basketball, including seven years at former Ohio Valley Conference schools. 

Jelani Simmons, senior guard, said Moore brings an “old school mentality” or a disciplined style of basketball synonymous with hustle, defense and rebounding.

The Screaming Eagles played staunch defense against Southern Illinois University Nov. 13, allowing only 53 points on 32.8% shooting from the field and only 17.2% from three. The Screaming Eagles committed 13 personal fouls against SIU’s 19.

This defensive performance was against a team coming off of a power five win at Oklahoma State University where SIU shot much better from three at 29%.

“He’s a great coach,” Simmons said. “I love playing for him.”

“When I was looking for people to bring in, I wanted to bring someone in that I trust,” said Stan Gouard, head coach of men’s basketball. “He’s a pioneer in the business” 

Moore started his coaching career at the University of Cincinnati in 2000. 

In his first season with UC in 2000, the team finished the season 25-10 and were the regular season Conference USA champion. Kenny Satterfield was one of the team’s top performers. Satterfield went on to play two seasons in the NBA after getting drafted 53 overall by the Denver Nuggets. He was the first of many players Moore coached who would eventually play at the game’s highest level. 

Moore’s second season with the Bearcats went 27-3 through the regular season, reaching as high as No. 4 in the Associated Press polls and finished the season at No. 5.

The 2001-2002 Bearcats had postseason success when they won the Conference USA tournament championship with victories over the University of South Florida, the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and Marquette University

They entered the tournament as a one seed defeating Boston University in the first round before losing an overtime thriller to the eight-seeded University of California Los Angeles 105-101. 

Jason Maxiell, another NBA player Moore coached, was selected 26 overall in the 2005 NBA draft by the Detroit Pistons. 

Following the 2001-2002 season, Moore spent the 2002-2003 season with Indiana University Southeast

After a short time at IUSE, Moore earned a job at USI’s former Great Lakes Valley Conference rival, Bellarmine University. While at Bellarmine, Moore played USI four times going 0-4 in that time.

Moore then moved to Morehead State University during the 2006-2007 season, marking his first time coaching in the OVC. 

During Moore’s time at Morehead State, the men’s basketball team had a record of 71-60 and made the NCAA tournament once in 2009 in addition to winning the OVC tournament that same season.

At Morehead State, Moore coached Kenneth Faried. Faried was the two-time OVC player of the year and had a successful nine-year career in the NBA after being drafted 22nd overall to the Denver Nuggets. 

Moore coached five years at Wright State University after his departure from Morehead State in 2010, where he stayed from 2010-2015 before returning to the OVC for the second time to coach at Southeast Missouri University

SEMO was his final collegiate stop before coming to USI. Moore coached there from 2015-2018, accumulating a record of 34-59 in those three years. 

Moore also coached one season in the high school ranks at Jeffersonville High School in the 2019-2020 campaign. 

During his time at Jeffersonville, the Red Devils went 18-6 overall and received Hoosier Hills Conference Coach of the Year. The Red Devils lost in the second round of the sectionals to Floyd Central High School. 

All these experiences led to Moore getting contacted by USI head coach Stan Gouard during the 2022 offseason. Gouard said he was looking for someone with experience at the Division I level, and Moore has as much experience as any available candidate. 

When I was looking for people to bring in, I wanted to bring someone in that I trust.

— Stan Gourd

Gouard said Moore brings experience and calmness to the USI men’s basketball team.

Moore said, “I want to contribute where I can, especially from an experience standpoint.”

USI will continue its opening Division I season at 7 p.m. Nov. 18 against Loras College in the Screaming Eagles Arena. As of Nov. 17, the men’s basketball team was 1-2. 

The team won their first Division I home game Nov. 13 71-53 vs. Southern Illinois University in the Screaming Eagles Arena. The team lost away Tuesday to the University of Notre Dame 70-82.

For more on the Eagle’s schedule, click here.