Students prepare for the 2022 midterm elections

Graphic by Maliah White

Students voice their opinions on the upcoming Indiana 2022 midterm elections.

Bryce West, Staff Writer

Students will decide if they are going to participate in voting for Indiana’s 2022 midterm elections which begin Nov. 8. 

Registered Indiana voters are able to vote early in person until Nov. 7 at 12:00 p.m with valid identification. Students who live on campus are in Perry Precinct 08 for Vanderburgh County and can find their closest voting location at indianavoters.in.gov.

Lexi Bane, freshman health informatics and information management major, said she is planning to vote. She said it will have an effect on people in the long run.

Other students said they are not planning to vote.

Anthony Hanes, junior psychology major, said he does not plan to vote in the upcoming election because he does not keep up with political standings.

“I think that my standings on things is a little bit in the minority,” Hanes said. “So, I feel like my personal vote wouldn’t be the biggest impact because I think that I am in the minority anyways.”

Mallory Burton, junior journalism major, said she does not plan to vote because she is considered an Illinois resident and is not registered to vote in the state of Indiana.

Most students said they do not know much or nothing at all about the candidates running.

Violet Thomas-Cummings, junior studio art major, and JJ Sanders, sophomore business administration major, said they do not currently know any of the candidates on the ballot. Sanders said this is the reason why he will not be voting. Thomas-Cummins said she will look into the candidates right before she votes.

Some students said they are not interested in politics.

“It’s all just kind of confusing,” said Austin Holder, junior exercise science major. “It’s a lot to take in if you’re just starting now to think about politics and all these types of things. It’s just a lot.”

“My older brother talks to me about it all the time,” said Kaitlin Albrecht, senior management major. “Based on what I’ve heard from him, I don’t know too much, but I’m just not really interested.”

Students gave mixed advice for those who are still deciding if they should vote.

“Don’t feel pressured to vote,” Sanders said. “If you want to do it, do it, because at the end of the day, it’s your decision, and you can only make that decision. So if you want to, go ahead.”

“There’s no way that it can do any harm,” Thomas-Cummins said. “ It can only do good, it can only support the views that you hold. It’s not going to hurt you if you don’t just promote what you want to have.”