Women’s volleyball falls short at Kent State Invite

Photo by Quinton Watt

Abby Bednar, sophomore outside/right hitter, gains solid contact in a game against Murray State University on Aug. 27. The women’s volleyball team lost three times between Friday and Saturday at the Kent State Invitational.

Quinton Watt, Sports Editor

USI Women’s Volleyball lost three matches at Kent State Invitational this weekend, falling to a 0-6 record. The team played three matches in a pool-style tournament at Kent State University. 

The team went 0-3 against Oakland University Friday morning, 0-3 against Kent State University Friday evening and 1-3 against Cornell University Saturday afternoon. Despite a tough start to the season, the Eagles have yet to play their first match against an Ohio Valley Conference team, making them 0-0 in the conference.

Oakland University:

The Eagles held on strong in the first set against the Grizzlies, finishing 23-25. The match slipped away in the second set at 14-25, and they eventually lost the third 20-25. Abby Bednar, sophomore outside/right hitter, led the team with 10 kills and six digs. They finished as a team with 35 kills on a 0.187 attacking percentage. 

Kent State University:

The Eagles fell to Kent State University 0-3 with a rough night of hitting. The second game of the tournament, the Eagles only had a 0.30 hitting percentage with 21 total kills and 18 errors on 100 attempts. They finished with 20 assists, four aces and eight blocks. Abby Weber, sophomore outside hitter, led the team with eight kills and two blocks.

Cornell University:

To top off the invitational, USI fell to Cornell University 1-3. The team’s hitting was improved from the night before, as they finished with 52 kills and a 0.207 hitting percentage. However, they gave up 13 aces throughout the four sets. Weber and Katherine Koch, junior outside hitter/right side hitter/setter, finished with double-doubles. Weber finished with 16 kills while Koch set up 41 assists.

Weber was named OVC Player of the Week following her performance against the University of Evansville and the matches at Kent State. The Eagles are looking for their first win at Miami University-Ohio Sept. 9.