The EDIC continues plan to research diversity on campus

Photo by Shelby Clark

The Board of Trustees met in Carter Hall for the last meeting of the semester. This was their first in-person meeting since the COVID-19 pandemic began.

Hayden Olberding, Editor-in-Chief

The EDIC plans to consult focus groups, share data and begin conversations relating to their 2020 Insight Survey.

The Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Council surveyed students, faculty, staff and administrators about the university’s priorities to make the campus more inclusive and diverse Feb. 2020. 

EDIC Council Chair Pamela Hopson presented the next steps of the committee to the Board of Trustees May 7 in Carter Hall. This was the first in-person Board of Trustees meeting since the COVID-19 pandemic began. 

The EDIC plans to meet with employee, faculty and student focus groups in July and September. In October the EDIC plans to share data to allow a “campus-wide conversation” to begin. 

In the Fall 2021 semester, the EDIC plans to release results from the focus groups.

Hopson presented data from the 2020 Insight Survey that showed some participants were not satisfied with the experience of community on campus. 

81% of students and 55% of faculty were satisfied with campus experience regarding diversity, according to the survey. 

66% of students and 46% of faculty said they were satisfied with the university’s priority of retaining marginalized students, faculty and staff.

“Based on the responses of the campus climate survey, it is obvious that we, as a community, have work to do,” Hopson said.

The Board of Trustees also approved the Administrator in Training residency certificate program. This certificate will expose students to nursing home operations, business, regulatory practices and resident issues. 

Students have between six and 12 months to complete the nine-credit-hour certificate.

Also from the Board of Trustees meeting:

• 60% of eligible graduates are attending a graduation ceremony.
  • 766 students and 88 employees, tested positive for COVID-19 since March 2020. 
  • 2,820 people got vaccines at the university’s clinic, 74 at the University Health Center. 
  • 19 students participated in a program that matches what students pay towards their student debt, the program matched the $12,214 students paid.

The next Board of Trustees meeting will be July 15.