Board of Trustees announces projected funds for fiscal year

Shield archives

The Quad and David L. Rice Library

Kami Minnich, Editor-in-Chief

The university is projected to receive $50.57 million for the 2021-2022 fiscal year and $51.03 million for the 2022-23 fiscal year, according to Gov. Eric Holcomb’s state budget proposal. This is a 4.9% and 0.9% increase from the previous budget, respectively. 

Chief Government and Legal Affairs Officer Aaron Trump reported to the Board of Trustees the Indiana House of Representatives will begin working on the budget to makes changes before sending it to the state Senate for approval. The Indiana House is set to finalize the budget around Feb. 22. 

Trump said he has identified 108 bills that could affect operations at USI. 

The university is also projected to receive $10.2 million for part II of the CARES Act. Out of $82 billion set aside for education relief, $22.7 billion is intended specifically for higher education.

USI can expect a somewhat larger amount of funding than with the previous CARES Act and $2.9 million of that funding will be for emergency student grants. However, Trump says that these numbers are subject to change should the Department of Education issue further guidance on the use of the funds.

The board also received an update from Vice President of Development David Bower concerning COVID-19. 

Since March 2020, there have been 672 positive cases, Bower said. This is out of a total campus census of 11,674, equating to 5.7% of the campus population. Of these numbers 610 students and 62 employees tested positive. 

“This is a remarkably low number for which we are profoundly grateful,” Bower said.

Other items on the agenda included:

SGA President Kesley McCullough announced the start of the First-Year Leadership Council. SGA candidate applications will available from the middle of Feb. to the beginning of March and further information will follow. 

Steve Bridges, Vice President for Finance and Administration, proposed the 2021-2025 strategic plan for the university’s goals and objectives. The plan was unanimously approved. Implementation of this plan will begin immediately. 

Current construction projects are still underway despite setbacks due to COVID-19. Upgrades to the Physical Activities Center include new office areas, an 11-lane pool, a hot tub and 200 new seats. 

The next Board of Trustees meeting is set to take place on March 4.