Editorial: The Shield will have a new editor-in-chief

Editorial

The Shield will have a new Editor-in-Chief.

Starting Friday, Kami Minnich will take over as the new Editor-in-Chief. She will be replacing Rhonda Wheeler, who began the academic school year as EIC. 

Wheeler stepped down as EIC for personal reasons, but will remain at The Shield as the Lifestyles Editor.

The Shield’s mission is still the same:to serve the students and campus community with factual information, entertaining content and provide a forum for discussion.

Below is a message from Kami Minnich, the incoming EIC:

“I’m very excited to have this opportunity to lead the team at The Shield. Previously, I was the editor of The Trailblazer at Vincennes University for the 2018-2019 academic year until I transfered to USI in 2019. 

This team has already shown me such warmth and encouragement for which I am so grateful. Those I have worked with so far have shown great dedication to The Shield and its mission and I can’t wait to see where they will take the publication over the next year. 

I’m thankful for the example Rhonda set for me and the path she has blazed during her time as EIC. I look forward to working with her as Lifestyles Editor in the future.

And most importantly, I’m looking forward to getting to know the students, faculty and staff on campus to better serve them as the EIC. I’m excited for the challenges we are sure to face and can’t wait to get to work publishing informative and entertaining content for the campus community.”

A message from Rhonda Wheeler, the former EIC:

“I joined The Shield my freshman year at USI. The last two and a half years have been incredible. I have made friendships, became part of an amazing team and learned so much.

I started off as the Community Engagement Manager and later on became the News Editor. Transitioning from that to EIC seemed natural. I had already put so much work into the paper and saw this as a potential career path.

We have faced issues this year this publication never thought it would go through. As EIC, I helped make decisions such as stopping our weekly print paper, creating special monthly editions, creating a newsletter and even restructuring our staff in order to make these new publications.

Being the EIC has taught me so much about journalism, writing and myself. One of the main aspects of going to college is learning about yourself, your interests and your passions. Being the EIC taught me more about my own interests, where my limits were and what I wanted to do for my future.

I love The Shield. I enjoy talking about it with my friends and hearing what readers think. I don’t want to leave The Shield entirely, but this position isn’t for me. I want the best for this organization, its readers and the USI community. 

I don’t regret my time at The Shield and I will be staying on as Lifestyles Editor, but being the EIC just isn’t the right fit for me. But just because it isn’t the path for me doesn’t mean it’s not someone else’s.

I look forward to working with Kami in the future and continuing to be part of this team. Thank you to everyone who has supported me through this decision and for understanding.”