Mask policy for ‘greater good’

Nik Cunningham, Publications Editor

Students are okay with the mask policy on campus, and except for a few people here and there, most would still be willing to wear masks without the policy.

Most students I’ve spoken to aren’t willing to risk getting sick, nor do they want to leave school due to a sudden spike in COVID-19.

“I’m pretty happy to be back on campus after being gone for so long, but it’s also very anxiety-inducing,” said Nate Meland, a public relations junior. “It feels like constantly walking on eggshells, if that makes any sense at all.”

Meland said he loves campus because it feels like a little city. He says he knows it can be hard for schools to open up at this time, but that “it does seem like USI is handling it better than other schools in Indiana.”

Jessica Shearer, an interactive media design junior, said she thinks it’s necessary to wear masks because she doesn’t want to risk getting sick or risk anyone else getting sick.

“If wearing a mask can help prevent those two things from happening a significant amount, then I think it’s fine,” said Shearer. 

She said she’ll wear a mask until she sees a significant drop in cases around the country, but admits that that probably won’t happen until a vaccine is made available for everyone.

“I don’t think now is a good time to assume safety. I’m fine with the policies as they are,” said Shearer. “Most people believe it’s important for everyone to wear a mask as the guidelines say.”

“I just don’t think it’s an infringement on anyone’s liberty and I don’t think it’s that big of an inconvenience to care about other people,” said Brianna Stone, an elementary education sophomore.

Stone said that wearing a mask is “a minor discomfort for a greater good” and she would rather wear a mask then spread fatal germs.