Turnovers Cost Eagles game vs Bellarmine

Stewart Brooking, Staff Writer

The women’s basketball team got off to a slow start Thursday when they traveled to Louisville to play Bellarmine. 

The Eagles were in a hole early as USI went 0-9 in their first nine shots. Bellarmine managed to shoot 87% from the field and it was that hot shooting from the Knights that gave them a 16-0 lead early in the first quarter while the Eagles struggled to make a basket. 

Bellarmine’slead rose to 27-6 to end the first quarter. USI shot 34% from the field and 30% from three-point range. Hannah Haithcock, a freshman forward, led the Eagles with 14 points. 

A total of 26 turnovers cost the Eagles a victory over their longtime rivals.

“We have to limit turnovers, it’s one of things we talk about all the time,” head coach Rick Stein said. 

Stein said Bellarmine kept USI off track on the offensive side of the ball, which led to the abundant turnovers.

USI came into the game ranked 7 in the newly released regional rankings but with the loss on Thursday, the Eagles will have to beat University of Indianapolis  on Saturday to keep their regional rankings alive.

USI will head into the game against Indianapolis with a 13-9 series..  The last meeting between these two teams on January 9th USI defeated UIndy 75-64 in their last meeting Jan. 9. Ashley Johnson led the Eagles with 20 points. USI shot a season high 45% from beyond arc. Tipoff for the game is 1 p.m. at Screaming Eagles Arena.