What we’ve missed while on break

Jordan Auker

Kobe Caldwell, senior guard, celebrates during a timeout Saturday night at the Screaming Eagles Arena.

Nik Cunningham, Sports Editor

Dec. 15

The men’s basketball team defeated the Lincoln Lynxes by 20 points, 81-61. Junior Forward Emmanuel Little compiled a double-double with 18 points and 15 rebounds. Senior Guard Darnell Butleradded another 18 points, shooting 5-8 on three-pointers. 

Little was named the GLVC Player of the Week for the first time in his career as the Eagles advanced to a 6-1 record.

Dec. 20

The USI baseball team is ranked No. 31 in the Division II Preseason Top 40 Poll in the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper. This is the tenth time USI has been ranked in the last 13 years. The first baseball game in 2020 will be played on Feb. 14 against Davenport University.

Dec. 21

The men’s basketball team defeated King University’s Tornadoes, 87-68. This was the seventh win for the basketball team. Senior Guard Josh Price, led the Eagles with 23 points on 67% shooting. Little notched another double-double with 19 points and 10 rebounds.

Dec. 22-23

The women’s basketball team played their last non-conference game against Ashland University and lost 95-55. The women’s basketball team had a four-game winning streak before falling to Ashland. This was the team’s third loss.

Despite the women’s loss, the men’s basketball team defeated Tiffin University, 105-89, bringing their win total to eight. Emmanuel Little led the Eagles with 22 points and 12 rebounds.

A day later, Price was named the GLVC Player of the Week for the first time because of his performance in the King and Tiffin University games. Price had averaged 19 points and 10 rebounds over the two games . 

The Athletics Department announced the Hall of Fame class for 2020. Six new players have been added to the Hall: Matt Blauvelt (Men’s Soccer), Emily Blinzinger Parke (Women’s Tennis), Dean Doughty (Men’s Soccer), Dave McAtee (Men’s Golf),  Ashley Rees Cantwell (Women’s Tennis), Allie Shafer-Krieger (Women’s Cross Country & Track). The people inducted are on the Athletics website.

Dec. 30

The Athletics Department placed 28th in the Learfield Directors’ Cup standings, an award recognizing successful Athletics Departments nationwide. USI placed 94th in 2018-2019 and 59th the year before. The last time that USI was ranked in the Top 25 was in the 2015-2016.

Jan. 2

The women’s basketball team lost to Drury University in their first 2020 game, 94-69. The women had 23 turnovers and shot just 26.3% from three-point range.

The men’s basketball team pulled out a victory over Drury, 86-82, giving the Eagles their ninth win of the season. Senior Guard Joe Laravie led the Eagles to a 19 point lead against the Drury Panthers as USI led 41-22 before halftime. The Panthers came back and fought to close the gap but fell just short of the win.

Jan. 4

The women’s basketball team defeated Southwest Baptist, 70-63, in a GLVC Conference game. Senior Guard Ashley Johnson and freshman Forward Hannah Haithcock both scored 17 points and junior Guard Emma DeHart scored 15 points and added four assists.

The men’s basketball team lost to Southwest Baptist, 71-69, handing the Eagles their second loss of the season.. Junior Forward Clayton Hughes and Price closed  the gap with 23 combined points in the second half, but couldn’t take the lead against the Bearcats.

Jan. 9

The women’s basketball defeated the University of Indianapolis Greyhounds, 75-64, in a GLVC Conference matchup. After a slow start, DeHart hit two three pointers. Johnson nailed another three pointer to tie the Greyhounds, 47-47 in the second half before pulling away. 

The men’s basketball team fell to the University of Indianapolis, 86-74, handing USI their third loss of the season.

Jan. 11

The men’s basketball team lost to No. 1 Bellarmine University, 79-65. Bellarmine is undefeated and are atop the GLVC. Senior Guard Kobe Caldwellmade his first appearance this season since the knee injury he sustained in August, immediately making a three pointer, and brought the crowd to their feet.