Annual public safety report shows decrease in rapes, increase in stalking

Rhonda Wheeler, News Editor

The university released their 2019 Annual Security and Fire Safety Report Sept. 30, showing a decrease in reported rapes and domestic violence incidents, while stalking and liquor law violations increased.

The 2019 report includes information and crime statistics for the 2016, 2017 and 2018 calendar years for crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus spots/buildings owned by the university and public property within or accessible to campus.

The report said that in 2018, there were three on-campus rapes. That is down two compared to 2017 and 2016, when it was five. In 2018, There were two reports of fondling on campus and another off-campus in 2018. There were 4 reported cases of fondling in both 2016 and 2017

There was one reported burglary on campus, but none for 2017 or 2016.

Six cases of dating violence were reported in 2018, down nine in 2017 and seven in 2016.

Reports of domestic violence have gone down as well. Last year there were two cases reported, while there were six in 2017 and no cases filed in 2016.

However, stalking reports have gone up. There were four reported cases in 2016 and five in 2017. Last year there were nine stalking cases reported to Public Safety.

Arrests due to drug violations decreased from 2017. Last year, Two arrests were made for drug law violations last year, while six arrests were made in 2017. A total of 16 arrests were made in 2016.

Arrests made in response to liquor law violations have increased. Fourteen arrests were made in 2018 compared to 10 in 2017. There were a total of 18 arrests made in 2016 for this issue.

Disciplinary actions regarding drug law violations decreased by 59% from 2017 to 2018. Disciplinary actions regarding liquor law violations increased by 40% from 2017 to 2018.

The Annual Fire and Safety Report is a requirement under the Jeanne Clery Act. According to the the Clery Center website, it is “a consumer protection law that aims to provide transparency around campus crime policy and statistics.”

The Clery Act requires colleges and universities to release a public annual security report (ASR) to both students and faculty every Oct 1. The ASR has to include statistics of campus crime for the previous three calendar years and details about the efforts taken to improve campus safety. They must also release policy statements regarding crime reporting, campus facility security and access, law enforcement authority, the incidence of alcohol and drug use, and the prevention of response to sexual assault, domestic/dating violence and stalking.

In the report, Public Safety confirms that they maintain a highly professional working relationship with the Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office, Evansville City Police, Indiana State Police, Indiana State Excise Police, Indiana Department of Natural Resources and numerous other federal law enforcement agencies.

The full report can be found here.