McCullough elected SGA president

The SGA General Assembly unanimously elected Executive Vice President Kelsey McCullough as the organization’s next president at its meeting Aug. 29.

McCullough was the only candidate to apply for president in the SGA’s special election. She had been serving as interim president following the resignation of former president Sarah Seward-Genung last week.

Kelsey McCullough

“It’s been an adjustment especially going back to school but I’m very grateful to have a team of people that have been working with me and have been helping me execute all of the things that have been happening at the beginning of the school year,” McCullough said.

McCullough, a junior political science and philosophy major, said her top goal this year is growing the organization. SGA will host an event in November for the organization’s 50th birthday, which she said she is excited for.

She also hopes to partner with more student organizations.

“I’m looking forward to working with all of the student organizations this year and really just trying to make an impact in advocating for students with higher administration,” McCullough said.

She said partnering with student organizations will help keep students on campus and get them more involved.

McCullough said her experiences in high school and at USI have prepared her to fill the role of president.

Her experience at USI include being on the executive board for the Political Science Society and helping start the Disability Coalition, which advocates for students with disabilities on campus. 

“We actually started that from scratch last year, so it allowed me to see first hand the process of what students go through when they want to start organizations and asking for funding,” she said.

With McCullough taking over as president, there is now an opening for executive vice president. The position is open to everyone on campus but she said it will probably be filled from within the organization.

Applications for president are available here: https://orgsync.com/43251/forms/363040.