Boil advisory lifted

Back to Article
Back to Article

Boil advisory lifted

The Student Housing Association (SHA) is considering a recommendation to the university administration that would change the current overnight visitation policy.

Kara Criswell

Kara Criswell

Kara Criswell

Noah Alatza and Riley Guerzini

Update: The boil advisory that was put into effect Thursday has been lifted after a major water main break on Evansville’s west side left portions of the university without clean water according to Public Safety. Water is now safe for consumption.

7:11 a.m., Thursday

A boil advisory is in effect until further notice. The Evansville Water Utility is advising customers in the affected area to boil all cooking and drinking water for 10 minutes before use.

While showering is okay, the Evansville Water Utility is recommending people to use hand sanitizer after washing their hands. The university is making hand sanitizer available in the main restrooms on campus.

Red Mango has been closed until further notice, but all other dining locations will remain open.

Bottled water is available at the Community Center, Housing and Residence Life main office, and at all four residence hall desks and the Community Center desk will be staffed 24 hours at this time according to the university.

The break happened in the 4700 block of Upper Mount Vernon Road, and many businesses are also affected.

10:16 p.m., Wednesday

Director of Housing and Residence Life Amy Price confirmed that a water outage is affecting all of campus. A university emergency RAVE Alert was issued around 10:10 p.m. Wednesday.

“I have been here ten years and I have not seen something this big,” Price said. “The water company is trying to fix it but it could be several hours.”

If the situation worsens, Price said housing staff will place flyers on doors and continue to keep the Community Center open 24 hours.