‘Youth can influence this election’

Students voice opinions on presidential race

An Online Journalism class asked seven students on campus to share their feelings and opinions about this year’s presidential election. Each student represents a different organization on campus, and their answers reflect that diversity.

McKenzie McCormick said she feels “super informed” when it comes to political issues.

However, the junior political science major said she finds people in the United States to be highly under informed.

“There are a lot of people who don’t feel the importance of their vote or don’t think they need to be involved,” she said.

However, Tanner Milazzo said this generation will have a higher voter turnout than ever before.

“This generation is more aware of the happenings of the world and are more informed than generations in the past,” he said. “(The) more people are informed, the more active they will be.”

Mixed media

To stay informed, Milazzo said he keeps up with the news daily despite a distaste for the current coverage.

He said the media coverage is “hot garbage for everyone” beside Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders.

Senior Aaron Gottman said he thinks the media coverage right now is unfair.

He said the uniformed public “eats up” posts on Facebook that may not even show a glimpse of the truth.

Gottman, a member of USI’s Activities Planning Board, said students often think their votes don’t matter.

“College kids are (also) too uninformed,” he said. “They just don’t care enough to find the information that actually matters to the election.”

McCormick said social media is a huge outlet for her when it comes to keeping herself informed. She said it is the main place people discuss their thoughts on issues.

Despite finding media a useful tool, McCormick stressed direct information.

“I feel like watching the debates is really important. A lot of people can read the highlights CNN gives, but that’s really not right,” she said. “That’s not really hearing what the candidate is saying and the way they are supporting their platform.”

Eyeing the issues

McCormick said she pays attention to where candidates fall on issues involving human rights.

“I look a lot at the way their morals are viewed,” she said. “Not just their morals, but the way they view people and their view of human nature.”

Milazzo prioritizes liberty and free speech in candidates’ campaigns.

“(Those issues) are the foundation of a healthy society,” he said. “Owning property puts more power into the common man’s hands. You have the right to a weapon to protect that property. You have the right to free speech so you can speak out against those that would take that property away from you.”

Keegan Roembke, who identifies as an independent voter, said economic policy is his biggest concern.

According to the Pew Research Center, partisan affiliation in recent years has changed. Based on more than 25,000 interviews conducted in 2014, 39 percent of the public identities as independent. 23 percent identify as democrat and 23 percent identify as republican.

“We’re at a really important time where we can either turn it around or it’s just going to keep getting worse,” the Student Government Association member said. “It’s probably one of the most important elections we’ve had in awhile.”

His concerns lie with the nearly $20 trillion debt the U.S. acquired. According to Pew in January 2015, 55 percent of Democrats said reducing the budget deficit should be a top priority. Seventy-two percent of Republicans agreed.

The percentages have dropped since 2013.

The freshman economics major said unless the country elects a president who is prepared to pay the debt and cut back on spending, it will only get worse.

Roembke said in order for college students to care, they need to see how important the election is for the future.

“I think students that are interested in politics have certain issues that they’re passionate about,” he said. “For me, it’s (the economy), but some people are really passionate about abortion or gay marriage or the environment.”

Choosing the right candidate

Roembke said people are interested in Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders because they “don’t fit the normal requirements for politicians.”

“People are pessimistic right now, and I think that shows with who is winning the primaries,” he said. “I think people are angry about it, so they’re voting for people that don’t typically win.”

Junior Aubrey Franklin said she will vote for either Clinton or Sanders, but she thinks it’s possible for Trump to be elected.

“Trump fuels his votes out of anger,” the Black Student Union member said. “He is true enough to his feelings, but he plays off of the reaction of American citizens.”

Dakota Richardt is rooting for Trump and against Bernie Sanders.

Richardt said he thinks Trump is the frontrunner and will ultimately win the presidency.

He said he believes Trump speaks to student issues and he identifies the most with him because his healthcare policy will give students more financial security.

“I believe the current mood of the country is that we need change,” Richardt said. “For this reason, I believe a Republican candidate will be elected.”

But for Teddi Rausch, the idea of Trump as president is a “rude awakening” for the U.S.

“(Trump) just won in New Hampshire, and he’s gaining speed from Americans who are still stuck in the 60s, both policy and lifestyle-wise,” she said.

She said the current Republican candidates can’t voice how they will fix current issues like the economy or foreign relations. They have also “attacked” organizations she supports, like Planned Parenthood.

The USI College Democrats President said it’s saddening to see many young people disinterested in the election, or easily affected by an older generation.

“People would rather follow their parents’ ideals than find something they’d fight for,” she said. “It’s a downright shame.”

The future leaders

Franklin said it is critical that students vote in the election.

“All students should know what is happening,” Franklin said. “Colleges should take the opportunity to (host) mock elections, have polling tables and create places for registration hosted by (unbiased) parties so students can be more aware.”

Rausch said she often brings up being informed to her sorority sisters and classmates and wants them to be informed.

“People want change, but there won’t be change unless voters turn out,” she said.

Richardt said the impact students and youth have on the election is up to them.

“I do think that youth can influence this election,” he said. “After all, the youth are the future leaders of this country.”

McCormick said not voting might be alright for college students, but eventually students will be “real adults” with life insurance and taxes they have to worry about.

“You’re going to care about the way the government regulates that eventually,” she said.

She constantly urges friends to vote, she said.

“If friends tell me that they aren’t registered, I will send them the link to register,” McCormick said. “It’s really easy. You just have to take a few minutes and do it.”

Damien Burge, Matthew Sims, Maddie West, Sean Adams and Taylor O’Neill Hall from an online journalism course contributed to this article.