Student, faculty art on display

Professors artwork to be featured at Evansville Museum in Master Teacher Series

deJong

deJong

Joan deJong said she begins every design with an original idea.

The assistant dean for the College of Liberal Arts said she often discovers new shapes, refracted and reflected light, through the 3D software as she’s designing.

“My work is an exploration of ‘constructed worlds’ using 3D computer graphics,” deJong said. “To create these constructed worlds, I utilized various software programs and scripting modes, taking advantage of the unique tools each program offers to produce the desired visual effects.”

Evansville Museum’s final installment of the USI Master Teacher Series, wich runs  until Jan. 31, showcases faculty and their former students’ artwork in celebration of the university’s 50th anniversary. This installment of the series features deJong, and 11 of her former students, including Erich Sheltom.

Shelton spent months creating his sculpture “Roll Up, Roll Up.”

The 6-by-12 foot scene of a Victorian England circus is featured at the Evansville Museum’s final installment of the USI Master Teacher Series.

“From the first time I had (deJong) as a teacher when she was at Ivy Tech Community College, I was inspired,” the art adjunct said. “She pushes her students to do their best and encourages creativity in her students.”

Shelton continued taking classes with deJong when she was hired at the university and graduated in 2002 with a bachelor’s degree  in art with an emphasis in graphic design.

Shelton became close friends with deJong after he began teaching at the university.

Shelton featured two other pieces in the exhibition.

“A Tribute to Apollonaire” consists of six pieces based on Guillaume Apollinaire’s concrete poetry, a style of poetry in which written words are arranged to form shapes and pictures.

“I took his poems and tried to mimic his style while adding a modern twist to them,” Shelton said.

“The Highland Fisherman” depicts a man fishing from a pond while sitting on the rooftop of his house.

“Teaching students and seeing their gifts come out has been the most challenging and rewarding part of my career,” he said. “It is that ‘aha’ moment that I see in my students and they actually start creating solid work that I am fulfilled.”

Shelton encourages aspiring artists to experiment instead of following the norm.

“Design your best work each and every time and don’t reject the possibility that your work is good,” Shelton said. “Find the self-confidence to be able to speak boldly about your work and you will be successful.”