Hard work, hunger for success pays off early for Eagles

Women’s softball started the season strong by achieving a 6-0 win at a tournament in Huntsville, Alabama Feb. 6-8.

Great pitching paired with good offense and defense aided the team in its all around solid performance.

The team was picked in the preseason poll to finish the GLVC in seventh place, but leaving the tournament undefeated turned a lot of heads for the team.

Head coach Sue Kunckle was very pleased with how her team played, she said.

“I think the big thing is that this team is really hungry,” Kunckle said. “They’re hungry for success and they work extremely hard.”

Janna Green, a junior outfielder, took the time to recognize some of her teammates she said worked hard at the tournament and added their individual strengths to the team’s win.

“We’re pretty excited, we got the weekend rolling with some pretty great pitching by our senior Brooke Harmening, and our junior Sarah Owens really stepped up,” Green said. “Defense is easy when you got a good pitching staff.”

Harmening broke the all-time record for most strikeouts during the tournament, walking away from the weekend with 24. She earned GLVC Pitcher of the Week honors.

Owens also found her time as pitcher during the tournament. She struck out nine players during the game against Miles College.

Going into the rest of the season, the team knows that it will only get harder.

The team is working hard to keep its streak alive and staying positive thanks to everything it has accomplished so far.

Kunkle said the team has high energy and a positive attitude, whether the opponent is a stronger team or not.

The girls are all close with each other and consider themselves a family. They think it played a part in how well they did in Huntsville.

Lexi Reese, a sophomore infielder, noticed the closeness and the role it played in the games.

“I absolutely love the team … Every single one of us girls bonded,” she said. “We bond as a family, and I think that’s what really lead us through this weekend.”

Kunkle agreed that the girls are close and that the bond helps the team become better and stronger.

When the girls know both their strengths and their weaknesses, they are able to become better, she said.

The team is looking forward to conference, but first is scheduled to host two tournaments at the end of February, which will be important games for the team.

The Eagles will host Ohio Dominican University and Ashland University in the USI Spring Classic Feb. 21 and 22. The team is scheduled to meet Trevecca Nazarene University, Hillsdale College, Malone University and Tiffin University beginning Feb. 28, and ending March 1.

“We have what it takes to do very well this year, so we’re excited,” Kunkle said.

The team will be back in action at 2 p.m. Feb. 25, when they face Kentucky Wesleyan College.