34 students cited at party

Law enforcement officers cited 34 USI students for underage drinking when they busted a party on the northwest side of Evansville early Sunday morning.

According to a news release, Evansville/Vanderburgh County Central Dispatch received calls around midnight about a large underage drinking party and vehicles parked in the roadway in the 2700 block of Allens Lane.

Excise police, along with the Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office and Indiana State Police, investigated the complaints and found 65 minors who had consumed alcohol inside the house and garage at 2727 Allens Lane.

Nicholas Kempf, 23, a finance major at USI, was charged with aiding and inducing a minor to possess alcohol.

Excise police cited 23 students and the sheriff’s office cited 11. All of the minors will appear in Vanderburgh Misdemeanor Court at a later date.

One arrest was made. Andrew Hopf, 19, of Huntingburg, Ind., was jailed and charged with consumption of alcoholic beverages by a minor and resisting law enforcement. According to the spring 2014 student directory, Hopf is not a student at the university.

Todd Ringle, the public information officer for the Indiana State Police, said an ISP trooper was present but made no arrests and cited no one.

James Vaughn, Chief Copy Editor