Jessie-isms: Build each other up

This is the beginning of my new column, endearingly titled “Jessieisms.” The Shield’s sports editor adopted this term for my tweets. He says most of them are only something I could say. So, out of the usual joking around that happens in the office, we decided I should take one tweet of the several thousands (exaggeration) I send out a week. So, here it goes.

@jessiehellmann 28 Oct Imagine the things us women could do if we bonded together instead of fighting against each other.”

But really. This tweet is especially relevant as this week has been dubbed “Women’s Empowerment Week” by the Pan-Hellenic Council.

Anyone who knows me well enough will know that I’m somewhat of a feminist. I don’t tolerate sexist jokes. I demand equal rights in the work place. I don’t take being whistled at very well, and I don’t let a man call me a b*tch or a slut just because they didn’t get what they wanted from me.

But this isn’t just a standard I hold to men. I hold women to it as well.

I can’t stand it when I hear women putting their sisters down. The name calling, the shaming, the jealousy and the pure hatred I sometimes see women exude toward each other is shocking.

Do you ever wonder why you don’t see men rolling their eyes at another man who is attractive when he walks into the room? This is something we see women do all the time. We can’t stand to look at women who are just as beautiful as us.

As women, we should stand together and build each other up instead taking each other down.

We’ve come too far, from gaining the right to work and the right to vote, to demolish it by being each other’s enemies.