Yuck “Glow and Behold”

yuckWhen frontman Daniel Blumberg left Yuck to pursue other musical interests, the rest of the London-based group decided to continue on as a three piece ensemble, but no one knew what this new manifestation would sound like.

“Glow and Behold,” the group’s sophomore album, presents listeners with a more mature sounding Yuck that has more control over the noise they produce, and more profound lyrics.

An obvious difference when taking a listen to their sophomore effort is Max Bloom on vocals. Hearing his voice pump through the ear buds felt foreign at first, because I was so used to Blumberg, but Bloom fills the position well.

I wouldn’t say I like Bloom better, but the group still works well as a three piece, and I’m glad they didn’t outsource the spot to someone else.

“Glow and Behold” has a slow, relaxing feel to it which makes it an album that a listener needs to be in the mood for. It’s definitely no “Bangerz.” You won’t be twerking and partying to this album.

The lead single, “Rebirth,” is reminiscent of My Bloody Valentine and shoegaze music. As a single, it reflects what to expect from this album. It has slow tender moments and moments that are drenched in layers of guitars and effects.

“Middle Sea” is a personal favorite on the album  because it reminds me of the majority of songs that Yuck’s self-titled debut album contained. It’s punk shoegaze fun, and showcases the group’s ability to blend genres to make something truly interesting and unique.

“Glow and Behold” is a good follow-up album to Yuck’s debut, but at times can feel a bit generic and static. If you’re into bands like My Bloody Valentine and Dinosaur Jr. or indie music, then be sure to check this out.