Support USI by supporting Fall Fest

If you’re new to Evansville, (I’m looking at you, the majority of the freshman class), I’m going to assume that you have yet to hear about the wonder that is the West Side Nut Club Fall Festival, better known as Fall Fest.

Let me fill you in – annually, a ton of businesses, clubs and organizations set up booths on several streets on the West Side of Evansville and sell interesting and delicious foods such as brain sandwiches, fried Kool-Aid, chocolate covered strawberries and literally hundreds of other types of food.

What’s the big deal? You may ask. How is this any different than my home town’s festival?

1. It’s the 92nd year of Fall Fest. It has literally been going on, infecting people’s bowels, for 92 years now. How can you beat that tradition?

2. Where else are you going to have the opportunity to try alligator jerky and chocolate covered crickets at the same time?

Now, you may be wondering why you would ever want to try something such as chocolate covered crickets. Listen, you need to man (or woman) up. You’re in college now. This is the opportune time, as opposed to being a toddler, to eat insects. And, as opposed to your childhood, these insects are probably more sanitary.

But really, Fall Fest is a great way to experience Evansville and its history. This is a great city to live in once you get past the occasional stench, courtesy of the city’s sewer problem (another opinion for another day).

You can’t really call yourself an “Evansvillian” if you’ve never been to Fall Fest. Also, many USI student organizations and departments run booths at the festival, so not only is this a great way to support the city you live in, it’s a great way to support your school.

On another note, if you see me at Fall Fest stuffing my face with fried goodness, please look the other way.