Music, movies and more: “Tomb Raider”

“Tomb Raider”

Rating: 4.5/5 stars

For a lot of people around my age, when we think of Lara Croft, we think of those Angelina Jolie movies that were far less than up to snuff.

We didn’t get to enjoy the game’s heyday on the original PlayStation because we were too young to know what a PlayStation was.

Good news for us – Crystal Dynamics’ new “Tomb Raider” reboot provides players with an action-packed experience that is visceral and gives people a reason to revisit this virtual icon.

This origin story follows a young Lara venturing out on her first expedition, eager to uncover mysteries that surround an old Japanese legend regarding the Sun Queen Himiko.

What starts of as an innocent expedition quickly turns into Lara’s worst nightmare as she finds herself shipwrecked on an island of murderers. This innocence is personified through Lara, who is green around the edges. She quickly realizes that she must do whatever it takes to survive – that she will have to kill and push herself to her limits to survive.

What thrusts “Tomb Raider” into the realm of greatness is the strength it harnesses through narrative. The story told through Lara’s transformation from upcoming archeologist to the full-fledged Tomb Raider who can take anything is fully realized throughout the course of the game.

Her development as a character is fascinating and creates an addictive experience that makes it hard to put down. It’s what makes this game a must play and separates it from other action/adventure juggernauts.

“Tomb Raider” is a refreshing reboot to this icon, much in the same way that Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight Trilogy is for Batman.

That being said, the multiplayer component leaves much to be desired and is a mere blemish on the face of an otherwise near-perfect experience.