USI mens basketball fall fest

The USI men’s basketball team officially kicked off their 2011-2012 campaign with their formal introduction to the Evansville community at the fall festival on Monday evening.

“Being here at the fall festival connects us with the west side of Evansville,” said Head coach Rodney Watson. Each member of the team was introduced to the capacity crowd on Franklin Street. “We are very thankful to the West Side Nut club to give us this opportunity to meet the community,” said Watson.

The Eagles are returning 5 players from last year’s squad including senior captain Brandon Hogg. “It’s a great environment out here, we just want to promote our team and get as many of these people here to the PAC for our games,” said Hogg.

Along with the five returning players, USI unveiled nine new players that are a mixture of freshmen and transfers. “We have to replace a lot of scoring and rebounding from last season,” said Watson. “We are excited about mixing in the new guys and getting the season going,” said Watson

The Eagles have had team workouts and condition since the beginning of school. “We are trying to hang out a lot as a team and working together to get an idea of what to expect when the season begins,” said Hogg. USI begins their season on November 6 when they travel to West, Lafayette to play Purdue in an exhibition game.