Visitation policy revisited

Overnight guests are unacceptable at USI withouth approval from housing, but the Student Government Association (SGA) will take another stab at a proposal to change the visitation policy.

SGA partnered with the Student Housing Association (SHA) last year to develop a proposal that would implement a 24-hour visitation policy during the weekend.

The proposal made it to the Board of Trustees who rejected it. SGA Vice President Brian Anslinger said he is planning to form a commission that will tackle the policy.

“We’re going to reanalyze the proposal and see what we can do to add to it or maybe enhance it,” Anslinger said.

He said some ways they are going to try to strengthen the proposal include figuring out a way to avoid liability issues and whether the visitation hours are affecting a person’s decision to attend the university.

“It just makes sense that we need to be updated and try to get in line with other universities,” Anslinger said. “We have one of the most restrictive visitation policy’s of the state-run institutions.”

The goal is to take the proposal to the SGA General Assembly by the end of February, he said.

“We’re going to try to come up with a common ground,” Anslinger said. “We don’t want to push it beyond the measure of what the university is ready to commit to.”

He said he heard last year’s proposal was excellent and, with his ideas for improvement, will hopefully pass when it gets to the Board of Trustees.

Junior theater major Kaleb Sullivan doesn’t think there should be a policy for students. “I do not live on campus, thank goodness,” Sullivan said.

He did reside on campus during his freshman and sophomore years.

“I think the university only makes a big deal out of it to make parents feel good about sending their offspring here,” Sullivan said. “But frankly, better security would make a much better impression.”

He ignored the policy when he lived on campus, he said.

“I think, as an adult, curfews are ridiculous and separating the genders has absolutely no effect on whether people sleep with each other or not,” Sullivan said.

About the Contributor
James Vaughn, Chief Copy Editor