Greek life could add African American sororities and fraternities

Representatives from the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) were joined by several students with questions regarding the possibility of African American fraternities and sororities coming to campus.

In the past, these types of sororities and fraternities couldn’t establish at USI because of lack of interest. This time, however, several students showed up for an information session Oct. 4.

Most of the students were women. Only four men were men and many had relatives that were once in a fraternity or sorority.

Representatives from Alpha Kappa Alpha and Delta Sigma Theta sorority were there, as well as representatives from several NCPH fraternities, such as Kappa Alpha Phi.

Sophomore exercise science and pre-physical therapy major Markita Fears said she came to the meeting with her research done, which is what Delta Sigma Theta’s representative Sabrina Thomas had reminded all students to do.

Doing research helped Fears decide that pledging Delta Sigma Theta was for her.

She said she enjoys being a leader and being organized, which makes the sorority the whole package for her.

As for USI student Eligaih Tiggs, he said he is still doing his research. He feels that not only USI, but the community, is missing something and an African American sorority or fraternity could be it.

Not only does Tiggs feels this way – David Stetter, program director for fraternity and sorority life, agrees.

“Adding an National Pan-Hellenic Council organization to campus is extremely important as it will expand our current community to include a culturally-based experience that is not currently present,” Stetter said.

There are many similar and also different benefits that these new fraternities and sororities could bring to the campus, he said.

“I think (an) NPHC organization can bring to USI the same benefits that our current chapters do,” Settler said. “It provides a support network dedicated to a values-based experience.

“The difference with NPHC organization, though, is the cultural and heritage background that they are founded upon that is rooted in African American culture. For some students, their heritage is extremely close to them, so having a fraternal experience that is grounded in their culture is (important), as well.”

The fraternities and sororities will have a few requirements. Kappa Alpha Phi fraternity requires the men have sophomore status or at least 35 credit hours.

Many of the students have to have at least a 2.5 grade point average, which isn’t very different from the requirements USI’s current fraternities and sororities have.

To get the new fraternities and sororities on campus, Stetter said they will have to summit a petition to the university.

The petition will develop a partnership to ensure the new fraternities and sororities are meeting all of the expectations that USI has for Greek life.