Women's basketball team drops two games

The USI women’s basketball team dropped its first two games of the Great Lakes Valley Conference schedule, when the team went up against Lewis University and the University of Wisconsin-Parkside last week.

The Eagles traveled to Romeoville, Ill., Dec. 1 with an impressive 5 and 1 record to take on Lewis. USI were playing even basketball with the defending GLVC champions going into half time with only a one point deficit 26-25.

The Eagles were only able to manage three points in the first seven minutes of the second half, as they found themselves at a 48-28 disadvantage with 12 minutes left to go in the game.

USI was able to pick up its offensive output a little, but it was too little too late as they fell to the Flyers 72-53. The Eagles were forced to play most of the game without its leading scoring freshman forward Anna Hackert, who managed to play only 12 minutes due to foul trouble.

The bright spot for the Eagles was solid all around play of sophomore forward Nicole Hazemi. Hazemi came off the bench to lead USI with 14 points, while shooting 70 percent from the field and gathered in seven rebounds. Other high scorers were freshman forward Brooke Valentine with 10 and freshman center Mary O’Keefe with nine.

USI did not have much time to rebound from the loss, as the Eagles traveled to Wisconsin-Parkside to take on the Rangers Saturday.

The Eagles had a tough time from the start with multiple turnovers and the host Rangers shot a scorching 50 percent from the field and from behind the arc.

USI trailed 44-19 at halftime and could not recover. The Eagles did not completely give up though, outscoring Parkside 29-16 to finish out the game. USI tried to come back and make it close but fell to the Rangers 76-50.

The main problem for the Eagles throughout the game was taking care of the basketball. USI ended the game with 23 turnovers. The Eagles totaled 14 in the first half to start out in an early hole.

The Eagles were led in scoring by freshman center Mary O’Keefe and senior forward Kristin Raker who each had 11 points.

“I got most of my points by being aggressive when I got the ball,” O’Keefe said. “I started to drive more to the basket, if I didn’t make the basket I would usually draw a foul on the other team.”

USI’s next game is Dec. 17 when they host Salem International University.