Danielle LeGrange feature

Danielle LaGrange has had an illustrious career as a middle-blocker for the University of Southern Indiana volleyball team.

After garnering several individual accolades as a Screaming Eagle, LaGrange most recently became the second player in the programs’ 32-year history to earn the Sports Imports/American Volleyball Coaches Association Div. II Player of the Week award.

“It’s tremendous honor. It meant a lot to me just to have the support of my teammates, family and the university. They’ve been such an encouragement for me all along,” LaGrange said.

From Oct. 19 through the 24th, LaGrange averaged 4.9 kills, 1.60 digs and 1.0 blocks per set while attacking at a .415 clip. Her play guided the Screaming Eagles (18-8, 13-3 GLVC) to three victories during the week, including a win over No. 21 Indianapolis – the first over the Greyhounds since 2005.

Last week, the Heritage Hills High School native also picked up her second Great Lakes Valley Conference Player of the Week honor of the season.

USI head coach Leah Mercer said LaGrange has been a tremendous impact on a relatively young team.

“She’s been great,” Mercer said. “She’s been such a leader on and off the court. The younger players feed off her play, the example she sets and her professional attitude off the court.”

LaGrange leads USI and ranks fifth in the GLVC with a .332 hitting percentage. She is ranked second in the league in points per set, fourth in kills per set and 10th in blocks.