Facing taller team help younger players gain exerience

The USI volleyball team not only had its five-game winning streak snapped on Saturday, it also dropped the team out of second place.

No. 20 Lewis posted a 25-22, 25-21, 25-23 victory over the Screaming Eagles on Senior Day at the Physical Activities Center (PAC).

In the battle for second place in the Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC) East Division, Lewis (21-5, 13-3) dropped USI to 18-8 overall and 13-3 in the GLVC. It was also just the second home loss for the Screaming Eagles all year after winning their last nine at the Physical Activities Center.

“We never stopped trying and I’m proud of the way the girls kept fighting, but unfortunately it was just a little too late,” volleyball head coach Leah Mercer said.

Lewis came into the matchup as the top blocking team in NCAA Division II and was able to neutralize the hard-hitting Screaming Eagles’ attack with eight team blocks and 52 digs.

USI committed 24 attacking errors and allowed Lewis to go on crucial multiple-point stretches each set.

“They were just digging everything,” Mercer said. “And a lot of it had to do with nerves. But there were several times where we had ball control issues and those ended up costing us.”

Mercer said facing a taller team like Lewis will help USI’s younger players gain experience as they move into the GLVC tournament, which begins Nov. 11.

“Early on and at times throughout the match, I think we got away from ourselves too much,” Mercer said. “Aside from our two seniors, we’re a pretty young team and we hadn’t been challenged like that in a long time.”

Leading the Screaming Eagles attack with 10 kills was the reigning national Division II player of the week Danielle LaGrange. She said Lewis’ all-around attack played a pivotal role in keeping USI out of sync.

“We had prepared for their outsides very well because that’s who had been leading their team in kills, but their middles are what beat us today,” LaGrange said.

The Screaming Eagles play again at 7 p.m. Friday when they travel to No. 13 Northern Kentucky (22-4, 12-4 GLVC) in a conference matchup.